Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Re-loading data for the Westley Richards Martini Henry .450/577

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    That is looking for trouble. Martini Henry proofed for black powder not modern propelllants. You might get away for a while- hope you are insured and on a proper medical aid
    Please see the Article "The Martini-Henry Cartridge & its Rivals" by Steve Berkemeyer in the March 2014 addition of the manMagnum on page 60-64. From page 61 : 450 gr bullet, 45gr S355 and 3/8" felt wad for nice smokeless load.

However yes CAUTION should always be used when loading smokeless in these old rifles.

User

Members, an update:

I am extremely fortunate to have purchased 15 x drawn Martini Henry brass from a member on this forum. Now it will be possible to re-load /shoot my own Martini Henry hunting rifle. I will invest in a set of Lee , Martini Henry dies...

Gert

User

Update:
    Martini Hernry owners, I did slug the bore/cast chamber of the Martini Henry today with Johan Greyling`s assistance. We used Ceracoat a product from Brownells, it really is a fine product to use. The bore is .455 " of this MH. Johan gave me paper patch bullets to shoot and hunt with, the only drawback I see about these bullets is it`s weight...it weigh a heavy 620 gn......I really would like to hear from you owners who shoot Martini Henry rifles what do you think about these heavy bullets?

I will start with a load development to see how these bullets group, I would use Fg powder and FFg powder to see which powder is the best to use.

I really would like to hear from you...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Update:
    Martini Hernry owners, I did slug the bore/cast chamber of the Martini Henry today with Johan Greyling`s assistance. We used Ceracoat a product from Brownells, it really is a fine product to use. The bore is .455 " of this MH. Johan gave me paper patch bullets to shoot and hunt with, the only drawback I see about these bullets is it`s weight...it weigh a heavy 620 gn......I really would like to hear from you owners who shoot Martini Henry rifles what do you think about these heavy bullets?

I will start with a load development to see how these bullets group, I would use Fg powder and FFg powder to see which powder is the best to use.

I really would like to hear from you...
    Gert, that is really heavy, the original service loads were 480grains bullets, with 85grain of blackpowder behind it.
    What charge did you think to start with? I assume you will chrony.
    Have a look at martinihenry.com, there is reloading data from 1885.
    I have an original copper mould, that cast 460 grain bullets. Can send you some bullets. These need to be paperpatch, their exact diametre I will have to check.

User

Finkelstein
    I have these shop paper patch bullets available to make use of , Johan Greyling gave it to me to shoot it from my Martini Henry. Like the rugby rules indicates: use it or loose it.... I will zero the Martini Henry with these paper patch bullets at 50 meters for warthog...and if I can get close enough for Impala...what is your opinion in this regard?

I was thinking a load of 80 gn FFg powder????

User

I would start with 70 grain, chrony and work it up slowly from there.
    Pressure change in terms of mass of bullet, but would make sense to start lower with a heavier bullet. If the pressure change is linear, I would decrease the black powder load with the percentage the bullet is heavier than 480grain.
    Thus, if the bullet is 620grain, 140 grain heavier than the original or 29 percent, I will reduce the initial charge to 60 grain, which is 71 percent of 85 grain.

User

Finkelstein

Thank you for the advice and suggested load development , it really is much appreciated. I was thinking along these lines as well...60 gn FFg will give me a good indication of which way I need to go more or less powder. I am thinking to zero at seventy meters ....since I will be hunting in bush veld conditions.
    The only barrier regarding a workable load for my MH currently is to get a cast/ paper patch bullet mold that will underscore the accuracy of my MH .

I did slug the MH, it measured .455 " I will measure the un-patched bullet and work from there. What is your opinion of using the two different granules of black powder, the Fg or the FFg granule powder?

I would like to hear from you...

User

Gert, Black powder is so scares, I use whatever I can get hold of. Bought half a kilogram of the Rustenburg Powder at Kloppers Bloemfontein. Will still have to try it out. Is packed though in plastic honeyjars- not good for peace of mind. Still had to sign for it!

User

Finkelstein
    Here are photos of the heavy factory 620 gn patched bullets...

User

Update:
    We managed to get hold of a piece of Martini Henry chamber /barrel, and converted into a full length re-loading die...I am working on a veld-re-loading set I can use when hunting the black powder hunts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast