Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Banned

Default Re: Re-loading data for the Westley Richards Martini Henry .450/577

Do you have access to 3FG powder? If so, it may do a better job due to faster ignition and burning.

User

Yes, I do have fffg powder, I will try this tomorrow.

User

Gert...i cannot help you with loads but i can send you up some 20 or 30 cast lead bullets which a mate of mine makes down here.

They are semi wadcutter , 417gr , .458 diam.

I load them subsonic in my .458 2inch and shoot bushpigs at night over bait.....rifle also fitted with suppressor.

If you think it may give you another option,send me a pm if you want to try them.

User

Pre64
    Thank you for your kind offer. At this stage I really received a lot of .458 dia cast bullets from various members who hunts with me on the 1880 era black powder hunt. I will be using these to paper patch to .470 and shoot them . I hope to get good results.

User

Update:
    Members, after numerous research, experiments with different bullets, size, weight and really a huge amount of time spend shooting from 50 meters ....I did not managed to get my MH to shoot accurate enough to hunt with it this coming 1882 era black powder hunt next week.

It really is a great disappointment to me. I then phone Hansie Minnaar in this regards. Hansie invited me to visit him after the hunt so he can assist me to get the MH to shoot accurately with black powder .

The bright side to this is that I am shooting a small grouping when using S335, 36gn smokeless powder. Unfortunately this hunt prohibit me to use smokeless powder.

I will give a full update regarding my endeavour to visit Hansie Minnaar where he will assist me to get the MH to shoot accurately...
    Thank you kindly for following this journey, it really is much appreciated....

User

Update:
    Members, since I am the new owner of a dedicated black powder rifle, Ardessa( Spain) , Hunter .50 cal...I decided to use the MH as a dedicated S335 smokeless powder rifle. This coming week will see me working on loads , S335 powder loads to get the MH shooting accurately. I am still waiting for .468 diameter bullets to shoot in my MH.

I know this will be safe to do since Pierre van der Walt , author of African Dangerous game Cartridges explain in detail why he use smokeless powder in his one dedicated smokeless powder shooting Martini Henry.

He explains as well the ratio of smokeless powder, S335 to 80gn of black powder in a MH case...40% of the 80 gn FFg black powder work out to about between 35-38gn , S335 powder loads for the Martini Henry.

This is the parameters I will be working from while reloading the MH , using a 480 gn soft lead cast bullet.

I really would like to hear your opinion in this regards, be it positive or negative ...

User

Gert, after our last argument about smokeless powder, I asked the question on the Martini Henry FB group.
    Apparently numerous people is doing it with success. The problem is to get a proper casefiller.
    Kynoch produced also smokeless ammunition in the 1950's.
    Good luck.

User

Finkelstein, yes , it seems hunters choose this option since S335 works well in the MH. Black powder is expensive, which is another reason as well as the soiling of brass when you use black powder...

Hi Guys
    As the proud owner of a Webley 450/12 bore Cape gun I am looking for a set of 450 loading dies> regards Don <don@mospare.com>

User

Are you looking for 450/577 dies?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5