Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Police Tax, salary and benefits?

Hi All,

So as some of you may know, I'm seriously considering joining the SAPS Special Task Force. And I'm just wondering, do police pay tax? What benefits do police officers get? Basic police salary? Task force salary? Rank = salary?

Any police officers here who have a first hand account of benefits and salary received from SAPS?

Thanks a bunch guys. :)

Dave

User

Default Re: Police Tax, salary and benefits?

I think I can give you some ballpark numbers, but I won't. If STF is an itch you are serious about scratching then you need to forget about a financially comfortable life. Or a 3 bedroom house, or a BMW (unless you find a rich wife or inherit some money). If salary plays a decision in all this, I think your itch may not be as strong as you think.

Yes you pays tax and you get medical and provident fund. If you make every promotion in 10-12 years you may be a Captain and you will still earn less than an intern's starting salary at a big corporate.

If you still want numbers - Google will help you ;)

User

Then dont even consider the SANDF. SAPS pay roughly 10-20% more then the SANDF.

User

The last figures I heard for a Sergeant were in the region of R12500 gross. The state medical aid, it seems to differ a lot, but around R1200pm. And yes, you pay tax, just like everybody else. But then again remuneration shouldn't be your reason for joining SAPS.

Sadly if they made it a bit easier to make a career out of it with better pay, they might get a better profile of serviceman, instead of this job creation scheme they have going presently.

Banned

If you want to do it for the thrill, get yourself a house in Boksburg, Brakpan, Danville or Orkney - same adrenaline rush every Friday night.

Serious though: why would you want to do that?

User

Its very sad the amount of money the SAPS get paid to risk their lives, it is not surprising that many do not want to get involved with in progress crimes and prefer to go and find someone they can bribe.

In a lot of other countries the police force has a very good starting package and can become a very healthy sum after a promotion or two.

I have certainly looked at it over here and may complete my app once the wife returns from maternity leave.

User

Go down to a good station. Make an appointment to sit with the station commander and or HR.
    Here in the Cape they rather nice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Knoffel View Post
    The last figures I heard for a Sergeant were in the region of R12500 gross. The state medical aid, it seems to differ a lot, but around R1200pm. And yes, you pay tax, just like everybody else. But then again remuneration shouldn't be your reason for joining SAPS.
    Agreed it shouldn't, and it's not. I just want a bit of info that's all :D

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Sadly if they made it a bit easier to make a career out of it with better pay, they might get a better profile of serviceman, instead of this job creation scheme they have going presently.
    Agreed. The problem is that no one wants to be a Police officer or serve their country because they get nothing. So the policing jobs are left (for the most part) to those who have nothing better to do so to speak. That's why we have quite a terribly mal-functioning police force. :/ This government though...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast