Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    Is it true that the STF aren't paid any more than a regular police officer?
    Apparently so. But they do get a scare-skills (high risk) bonus of 1k or 2k (apparently). How about we sign a petition for better law enforcement policies? Lol

User

Default Re: Police Tax, salary and benefits?

I've no problem with them earning decent salaries but they need to properly vetted and trained. There should also be no tolerance for those members who don't uphold the standards. Exit stage left, no benefits, no quietly into the night or go to jail. Do not pass Go.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Pretty shocking. More needs to be done to attract career policemen, there is no doubt. The personnel involved that put in the hard yards every day out of pure dedication and do the job right have my admiration and respect.
    Indeed.

User

My father has been in SAPS for 38 years and he is a Lieutenant Colonel and has been in that ranks for more than 20 years. I can also tell you the salary is not glamorous to say the least.

Its not a job, its a calling.

User

I've no problem with them earning decent salaries but they need to properly vetted and trained.
    The Special Task Force are very highly trained. The average Joe in blue, not so much. The flying squad and K-9 units are great too. I agree, we need better trained officers. And those that don't uphold the standards should be booted I agree.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vega5 View Post
    My father has been in SAPS for 38 years and he is a Lieutenant Colonel and has been in that ranks for more than 20 years. I can also tell you the salary is not glamorous to say the least.

Its not a job, its a calling.
    Exactly. I'm sure his salary is pretty decent though as his Rank is pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_haha View Post
    Agreed. The problem is that no one wants to be a Police officer or serve their country because they get nothing. So the policing jobs are left (for the most part) to those who have nothing better to do so to speak. That's why we have quite a terribly mal-functioning police force. :/ This government though...
    If the police were efficient and professional, that by itself would be an attraction.

Instead they have become more militaristic and arrogant. You can't police without reasonable cooperation with the public, and this is where they fail. Withholding information and statistics, overworking their members and lack of incentives take their toll. Marginalising white officers by refusing promotion makes them leave or just sit back, and they take years of experience with them.

One person will not fix this problem. It needs to come from government and SAPS leadership. If you understand now that SAPS is "malfunctioning" then you are destined to be unhappy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_haha View Post
    The Special Task Force are very highly trained. They average Joe in blue, not so much. I agree, we need better trained officers. And those that don't uphold the standards should be booted I agree.
    Apologies, I was referring to new recruits.

User

Apologies, I was referring to new recruits.
    No worries :D

User

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    If the police were efficient and professional, that by itself would be an attraction.

Instead they have become more militaristic and arrogant. You can't police without reasonable cooperation with the public, and this is where they fail. Withholding information and statistics, overworking their members and lack of incentives take their toll. Marginalising white officers by refusing promotion makes them leave or just sit back, and they take years of experience with them.

One person will not fix this problem. It needs to come from government and SAPS leadership. If you understand now that SAPS is "malfunctioning" then you are destined to be unhappy.
    Yeah I hear you... But what is a guy supposed to do when he lives in SA? I don't fancy a desk job, I want to help my country and I want to join an elite unit... that's why I want to join the STF. I can't wait 50 years for the country to fix itself or die. What can I do? It really sucks

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast