Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Default Re: Police Tax, salary and benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_haha View Post
    Yeah thanks man... I'm weighing the aspects and pros and cons... I could invest R2000 a month or something lol xD what other sources of income could I have as a STF officer? Yes, selection is insanely tough. Hmm, I don't want to subject my (future) family to terrible living conditions just because I wanted to be in the STF... It's a tough choice...
    In the SAPS you are NOT allowed to hold another job for extra funds.

User

Quote Originally Posted by drie57 View Post
    I retired at age 60 (compulsory) after 36 years in SAP. It has been my life, my passion and I wish I could have stayed on. But I have to agree with M43 and Narcsap. My old police comrades envy me, the police has gone down the drain. It is very sad. Yet, I would say to you: If you can get in with your white skin and can persevere to make the extremely tough Takie keuring- then go for it. You are still young and are allowed to test the water. If you do make the Takies you will never be sorry. You will have joined the very elite in all respects. Strongs young man.
    Thank you Sir! I will take your words to heart.

User

Quote Originally Posted by NarcSap View Post
    In the SAPS you are NOT allowed to hold another job for extra funds.
    What about buying shares in a company or investing in something else? Surely that's not illegal for SAPS members?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_haha View Post
    What about buying shares in a company or investing in something else? Surely that's not illegal for SAPS members?
    You are not allowed a connection with any other company in any capacity, every few months you sign a declaration that you have no other forms of income. Believe me when I say that the Counter Intelligence guys check on that. In the old days we could be bouncers at night clubs, not anymore. Someone I knew helped his father whilst he was on leave, he got dismissed.

Dave, my first thought when reading your question as to pay and benefits, was that if you ask the question, then you must probably look somewhere else. Much like asking about the price of Rigby rifles or yachts and Lear jets for most of us perhaps, if you have to ask, then you can't afford it. But then I thought by myself, hey, this guy is perhaps indeed the right material for the task, he would't just rush in but rather use a bit of brains as well and make calculated desicions and execute his actions properly.

You have heard it all from the horse's mouth above. At least you will not be surprised if you continue.

Imagine where we would be if more people can join the Force with your attitude, so on the other hand, how can we then discourage you?

But Kreefstert and NarcSap & M43 & others have given you the reality. It's different when kids get into the picture. You do not want to dissapoint them. But they will also not be happy if you are not happy. Money alone will not make you happy. And the demands of your work in the SAPS (long shifts, irregular hours, deployments elsewhere, etc,) will basically mean that you will not always be around as they grow up and will have to rely heavily on your wife for bringing them up and being there for them. This will limit her employment (and therefore income) prospects since she will almost be a single parent, unless you as a couple have peace with leaving them with after school care / nannies etc. and rely heavily on that, or have some sort of strong support structure with grandparents etc.

You may end up and not be chosen for STF, despite being able to qualify on merit. Bummer?

At the end of the day, perhaps it basically comes down to this, in the words of J. Rambo: "Live for nothing but die for something. That is what we do."

Have a look at this episode of "Sakegesprek met Theo Vorster". Pieter de Waal of BMW Motorrad tells his remarkable career story.

It's some of the best career advice I'v heard in my live, and you have the benefit that you get this advice at your age, I guess a number of us could perhaps have chosen differently or earlier if we thought about things that way when we were your age. And thing is, you may keep asking yourself this question if perhaps you did what you did for the money, and not for the satisfaction. In short, his advice is that you must identify what you like doing, then you will become good at it, and then you need to find someone who will pay you for it.

Good luck

User

Quote Originally Posted by MTTSS View Post
    Dave, my first thought when reading your question as to pay and benefits, was that if you ask the question, then you must probably look somewhere else. Much like asking about the price of Rigby rifles or yachts and Lear jets for most of us perhaps, if you have to ask, then you can't afford it. But then I thought by myself, hey, this guy is perhaps indeed the right material for the task, he would't just rush in but rather use a bit of brains as well and make calculated desicions and execute his actions properly.

You have heard it all from the horse's mouth above. At least you will not be surprised if you continue.

Imagine where we would be if more people can join the Force with your attitude, so on the other hand, how can we then discourage you?

But Kreefstert and NarcSap & M43 & others have given you the reality. It's different when kids get into the picture. You do not want to dissapoint them. But they will also not be happy if you are not happy. Money alone will not make you happy. And the demands of your work in the SAPS (long shifts, irregular hours, deployments elsewhere, etc,) will basically mean that you will not always be around as they grow up and will have to rely heavily on your wife for bringing them up and being there for them. This will limit her employment (and therefore income) prospects since she will almost be a single parent, unless you as a couple have peace with leaving them with after school care / nannies etc. and rely heavily on that, or have some sort of strong support structure with grandparents etc.

You may end up and not be chosen for STF, despite being able to qualify on merit. Bummer?

At the end of the day, perhaps it basically comes down to this, in the words of J. Rambo: "Live for nothing but die for something. That is what we do."

Have a look at this episode of "Sakegesprek met Theo Vorster". Pieter de Waal of BMW Motorrad tells his remarkable career story.

It's some of the best career advice I'v heard in my live, and you have the benefit that you get this advice at your age, I guess a number of us could perhaps have chosen differently or earlier if we thought about things that way when we were your age. And thing is, you may keep asking yourself this question if perhaps you did what you did for the money, and not for the satisfaction. In short, his advice is that you must identify what you like doing, then you will become good at it, and then you need to find someone who will pay you for it.

Good luck
    Thank you Sir!

Banned

i love the h&k's they using

Banned

what the sapstf rank in 2017

User

Quote Originally Posted by aashiq View Post
    what the sapstf rank in 2017
    Necropost much?

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6