Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default 1 piece vs 2 piece base for scope.

After 6 months waiting for the printing of the card, my rifle is finally home. I intend taking it to ARMS later on to get the scope mounted, they offer a 1 piece base for the Howa as well as the conventional 2 rings+base setup. Is there any advantage for going for either setup? Does the 1 piece base interfere with loading of the rifle? Thanks

User

Default Re: 1 piece vs 2 piece base for scope.

Antlion, I have the 1 piece from Arms on my Howa...no problems. I know that my scope is mounted level and no stresses from slightly misaligned scope rings. It does not interfere with anything so you are good to go...

User

I've always preferred a 1-piece base, but AFAIK there are very little to no differences.

User

I prefer a 1-piece base because then you don't have to worry about ring alignment issues, or the scope being bent if you don't lap the rings.

User

Thanks for the replies.

There is no material advantage either way for most normal use. For very long range shooting, a picatinny rail with some built in tilt can be useful but that's about all.

Quote Originally Posted by Theron2033 View Post
    I prefer a 1-piece base because then you don't have to worry about ring alignment issues, or the scope being bent if you don't lap the rings.
    Nonsense. The need for lapping comes out of tolerances in receivers, bases and rings. If you take the error out of one component you still have the other two. I fitted a lot of scopes, and never found a pair of rings that didn't need lapping. Not one. I have said this several times on gunsite but still it is not believed. As far as I know, I was the first to advocate lapping in SA, and I still have the rod that I machined for the purpose.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Nonsense. The need for lapping comes out of tolerances in receivers, bases and rings. If you take the error out of one component you still have the other two. I fitted a lot of scopes, and never found a pair of rings that didn't need lapping. Not one. I have said this several times on gunsite but still it is not believed. As far as I know, I was the first to advocate lapping in SA, and I still have the rod that I machined for the purpose.
    I specifically asked them to lap it, they didn't have any issue doing it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    After 6 months waiting for the printing of the card, my rifle is finally home. I intend taking it to ARMS later on to get the scope mounted, they offer a 1 piece base for the Howa as well as the conventional 2 rings+base setup. Is there any advantage for going for either setup? Does the 1 piece base interfere with loading of the rifle? Thanks
    My son has a Howa with a 1 piece warne rail and I have a howa with the conventional setup.

The single rail looks tacticool/ military /sniper. This does not bother me.
    It is supposed to be a stronger and more stable platform improving accuracy
    It allows for elevation to be built into the mounts - eg 10 or 20 moa bases for longer range shooting.
    It allows for more options when positioning your scope. You are not limited by tube length and can set the scope further back or forward depending on what suites you.
    Scopes can be removed and refitted without loosing their zero. A back up scope is quick and easy to fit.
    It allows you to fit other attachments if necessary.

The biggest con is that you have less finger room between the base and the action. I have stubby fingers and prefer the extra space proved by conventional bases and mounts when inserting or removing cartridges.
    I also think conventional bases and rings look better. I have never had a problem with them being weaker or less stable or affecting accuracy.

I Personally think 1 piece does not look nice. Looks like a steel block sitting on top of rifles.
    Give me 2 separate rings any day of the week. Looks much better on a rifle then single piece.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast