Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Question Round for Self defence

Hi

Legally you not allowed to have more than 200 rounds for self defence.Can they sell you( gun shops) more than 200 rounds by the gunshop as the 1st question (self defence licence) and the 2nd question is if they did sell you more than 200 rounds and you are now on your way to the shooting range you get stopped by the Police and as you know they do these routine checks and you now declare to them that you carrying a firearm and loose round meaning the rounds are not loaded in the firearm and they ask to see them for verification purpose to check if they are for the same license you holding and they find its more than 200 round will you get arrested? (if the Police officer is well clued up with the FA Act) though you say you are on your way to the shooting range and you going to spend those rounds there.

Regards
    Surprisek

If you do not have some sort of dedicated status you may not have more than 200 rounds, including primers for each licence you hold.

The exception in the act is only for ammo bought at a range and used there.

Saying that you were on the way to some range or another is not good enough.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Once again the law is standing on the side of the elite few that can afford all these regulations and "dedicated" BS, but don't give a damn about normal Joe who wants to shoot and train as much as possible, on an intense private training day 200 rounds won't last me a half an hour, but alas we want all firearm owners to be better trained and skilled, but you have to have an expensive "ticket" that will "allow" you to have the ammo to do what you have to do, oh but you have to be dedicated and for that you have to belong to some sort of an association that will cost you money, so you can have the privilege of training and shooting enough to save your behind, I know every year I have to "pay blood money" to allow me to do this, hell I cold have used this money for more ammo and training time, leaves a foul taste in the mouth doesn't it?

Buy ammo from a range with a dealers licence then. Then you train till your wallet can't handle any more.

Legal and "rights" issues aside, lets be realistic, if you can afford to do courses or shoot 3-500 rounds in a training session you can afford the R700 or so a year that it will cost you to get dedicated status. R60 per month. Seriously, whats that like 2 packets of cigarettes or 3 beers in a pub?
    Havamal

User

Couldn't you have a dealer bring the ammo to the range, or does he require a temp permit to do this?
    Or have someone with dedicated status buy & bring the stuff to you at the range with some sort of arrangement?

User

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Buy ammo from a range with a dealers licence then. Then you train till your wallet can't handle any more.

Legal and "rights" issues aside, lets be realistic, if you can afford to do courses or shoot 3-500 rounds in a training session you can afford the R700 or so a year that it will cost you to get dedicated status. R60 per month. Seriously, whats that like 2 packets of cigarettes or 3 beers in a pub?

Where and how does one get a dedicated status again what are the requirements and if one need to join the club can you please list the for me and their contact numbers.

Surprisek

Can't speak for IPSC or the other disciplines but for IDPA start at www.sadpa.co.za.

Don't expect to pay your money and suddenly get DS. You actually have to attend matches. The requirements are not onerous. You need 20 points or something. You can get that in 3 months probably.
    Havamal

You can also fill out a SAPS540 Application for Authorization to Possess more than 200 rounds of ammunition. Not sure about the workings though.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    whats that like 2 packets of cigarettes or 3 beers in a pub?
    + 1

("Quite smoking - start shooting")

It also helps the cause of the shooting community - more dedicated sportsmen means that the shooting sport tightens its grip on its own right for existence.

We can bitch and moan as much as we like about the current state of legislation - it won't be getting better any time soon. Truth of the matter is that we are fighting for the right to own and carry firearms, but every firearm that gathers dust in a safe is detrimental to our cause.

Join club, and start participating in a shooting sport, get your dedicated status and shoot as much ammo on a session as you can afford.

User

Just to make sure: you can have 2400 primers or 2200 primers and 200 rounds in your possession?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast