Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Characteristics of the ideal client?

I have to derail my own thread just a little bit because after rereading this thread a saying of my late father came to mind:
    As almal soos ek was sou daar baie minder probleme gewees het.
    (If everyone was like me there would be much less trouble)

I think what one should realise after reading this thread as well as the other one, is that; a doos remains a doos, it doesn't matter what side of the counter he's standing on.

User

Quote Originally Posted by StefanM View Post
    Dont start a conversation with "I read on the internet" I read that Bigfoot ate some aliens on the internet. Not buying that
    Dont say "it costs half that in the USA" Then go there and buy it
    Dont say "I can get a better deal at dealer X" Get me one while you are shopping there
    Never say "my friend in the police said that" I have friends in the police and they laugh at you when I tell them abut you.

You are welcome to look at the guns for 3 hours, as long as you don't mind me getting on with work
    You are welcome to negotiate over price, as long as you keep in mind that selling ammo puts food on my table.
    You are welcome to ask me for a favor, like staying 5 minutes late when you are stuck in traffic. Remember that shooting is your hobby. Selling stuff is my job. I want to get home and drown my sorrow just as much as you do.
    If you phone me at 0230 to get a box of ammo for the club shoot starting in 5 hours, the price is R2000 a round. Take it or leave it.

Its nice when people handle guns with respect. Don't muzzle sweep me. Take off your rings and watches when handling expensive guns, especially when wood is involved.

Never tell of your exploits. No-one, ever, has shot a buffalo with a 22 from 700 meters. It cant happen.
    brilliant!
    I get pissed off with those guys too! and I'm a client

User

He's wealthy and shoots kak.

That way he'll always keep on upping the ante in the equipment race. Because he knows that if he gets that new Schmidt & Bender tactical scope like the guy used in the flick American Sniper he'll pull off the 600m kopskote.

User

I am not in the FA retail industry but was in retail for a long time. Remember when you off time it means i have to work i have a family and a life dont treat me like i am a servant to you appreciate that on saturday when you go buy ammo to shoot at the range i cant and have to stay to sell tou ammo. Sales staff are people to. If you can get it cheaper elsewhere go get it there.
    I expect chstomers to be informed when pitching up tou want to buy a certain gun know why sales people di not know everything and cant know everything and also cant spend hours and hours explaining what the differance is between a p07 and a glock 19 other people also want help. Working in retail is not just standing around talking a bumch of shit it is paperwork and merchandising and ordering and capturing stock long hours very little personal time and family time. Just as a client at work wants understanding so do sales people. And again remember if you are there it means you have time of to go there it also means the sales person cant have time off because he has to serve you. A little respect goes a long way.

User

One important factor about working in the gun trade that people don't know or choose to ignore

The pay is shit.

As is I can make more money as a receptionist at an optometrist's office, if only I looked good in a skirt.

You work in the trade because you like guns. Someone that has the required retail experience to work at the big stores where they pay well, will also just as likely have worked in a Top CD or MTN shop or Exclusive books. To that type of salesman, selling a CD or a iPhone or a holster is the same thing.

So keep in mind, the person behind the counter is either there because he loves firearms and knows what he is on about, or he is unemployable in any other field and so works for an uncle. Yelling at one alienates him. Yelling the other has no effect.

He doesn't ask "Which is the best one handgun in the shop?"
    Dude...if there was one best handgun, we wouldn't bother stocking the other 50 makes. We are happy to guide you and try and find what is best for you, but there is no ONE best handgun, and you are ultimately going to have to listen to advice and then make your own educated decision based on our advice and your own research.

Point 2: If you ask for advice, listen to it. Don't ask for an opinion, and then immediately spend 20 minutes saying why the advice is wrong. Are you coming to ask us for our opinion, or coming to tell us what our opinion should be?

Luckily most are not in that group, and are just really nice guys and gals, who enjoy chatting guns as much as we do.

DSG

User

It's like when someone asks me around a braai fire: So, what is the best 4x4 on the market?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    It's like when someone asks me around a braai fire: So, what is the best 4x4 on the market?
    But that is easy.......:rolleyes:

User

I hate going to a braai and talking about work all night. I don't mind a bit of conversation here and there but talking markets the whole night . The first question is always got any hot share tips? Standard reply: yes buy at the bottom sell at the top.

Can relate to gun shop owners, for them its a job for us its a hobby.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast