Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    User

Default Re: The Great 1800 era Weltevreden Black powder Rifle hunting Expedition of May 2015

GERT, Beautifull right up /video and photographs of the ''old days'' thank you and to your friends as well. our 5+ month drought /no rain just ended this week...bear and deer,wolf and lion season open in a few days here on Vancouver island...just in time to allow us to hunt with black powder....without the risk of starting a FOREST FIRE.. cheers WASATCH CHARLIE (the old WE DEAL IN LEAD SIT)

User

Default Re: The Great 1800 era Weltevreden Black powder Rifle hunting Expedition of May 2015

Good day to you Bear , thank you for the reply .It really is nice to know hunters from around the globe are connected and can communicate with each other regarding hunting matters. I would appreciate it a lot if you will be so kind as to start a thread where you upload your hunting /shooting endeavors with black powder rifles in Vancouver where you hunt, everybody can always learn from anybody..we need hunters from abroad to participate on our forum..

I am compiling a list of hunters who is going to participate in our The Great 1800 era Weltevreden Black powder Rifle hunting Expedition of May 2016. We are currently adding to our itinerary list to ensure the camping site will consist only of 1800 era items and items build from the surrounding veld we live in ...

User

I am currently in the process to add to our 1800 Black powder hunting safari itinerary. This is our most recent addition..it was build ( I just hold something here and there) by Chris Moolman a good friend of mine. I did the finishing touches, by removing and opening up the cracks in the wood to give it an aged appearance.. Willie Barnard gave the wood, African Rosewood , we are currently busy building the zink...

I am also busy making 12 x pieces cutlery for the 1800 era hunt...all these knifes and forks will be forge ..I already completed one knife blade...

Sjoe thats an incredible trip!! Wow what an experience!! Hats off to all of you for the effort, idea, work involved!

A couple of questions if I may? How did you store the meat that was shot or was the temperature during the day fairly low? I noticed you mentioned a brine?

What shoes did you Gents hunt in? Seem to be a variety?

User

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGregory View Post
    Sjoe thats an incredible trip!! Wow what an experience!! Hats off to all of you for the effort, idea, work involved!

A couple of questions if I may? How did you store the meat that was shot or was the temperature during the day fairly low?

Gregory, we hanged the carcasses under a tree in the shade..it kept cool for three to four days or until it was processed..into biltong and wilds wors( venison dry sausage/wors)

I noticed you mentioned a brine?

Willie conjured up a brine strong enough to let an egg float, or is it sink? Can`t really remember,,will ask him..

What shoes did you Gents hunt in? Seem to be a variety?
    Herman Nel/MC Heunis used replicated clothes from the 1880 era/Voorttrekker era. The rest used a mixed type of re-enactment clothes from the 1880/Voortrekker era. MC/Herman Nel/me used velskoene( vellies, mine was sop vellies ,yes we mostly made use of vellies...

I already commenced with the assistance of my wife to make replicas of the Voortrekker attire used in those days..it will include a set or two velskoene with my new set of shoe lasts..

The coming months will see us preparing at a great pace to get all the projects needed for the hunt completed as fast as possible...

Gert

Thanks Gert!

User

David, the carcasses we hang with the skin on , if it was not shot in the body , under a tree in the shade. We had a "cooler " as well ..here is some photos..
    Carcasses hanging:

The cooler

User

In regards to the cooler, it is another project coming up, we want to build a large cooler to use on all our 1880 era black powder hunts..

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8