Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Goat recipes please

Ok guys, I have to admit that I have never eaten or hunted goats before (why would you when there were antelope of various descriptions) & I have always hated the smell of their meat when cooking, but, different place, different time.... and I will be hunting & or culling feral goats in a few months time.

Recipes please - simple camp recipes as we will be very remote with very limited cooking facilities.

I do not want to waste all that meat.

Thanks in advance.

User

Default Re: Goat recipes please

I always though you guys used goats and sheep for completely different things?

User

I thought this was an AK thread!

User

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I thought this was an AK thread!
    Inside joke that methinks!

User

nkosi, the first thing that comes to mind is maturing the meat, but sounds like you might not have that luxury. I've not tried goat before, but I reckon if you can stick a hind quarter in a (very) slow bake for 10+ hours with some fat, garlic and salt/black pepper (poke full of holes with knife tip and stuff into holes) like my Grannie used to cook warthog, you should be good to go.

Banned

A ram - especially the older ones - are said to stink quite easily. I have not eaten one of them yet. Young animals and yews are more pleasant to eat, which I have done. Other than that you can treat it like mutton or lamb and should be good to go. If you really want to be careful you can freshen it out by leaving it for a night or three in the refrigerator in dairy: white yoghurt, sour milk, nkomaas, buttermilk etc.
    I read or heard somewhere that their taste depends on the plants the animal had to eat during life, much like sheep.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    A ram - especially the older ones - are said to stink quite easily. I have not eaten one of them yet. Young animals and yews are more pleasant to eat, which I have done. Other than that you can treat it like mutton or lamb and should be good to go. If you really want to be careful you can freshen it out by leaving it for a night or three in the refrigerator in dairy: white yoghurt, sour milk, nkomaas, buttermilk etc.
    I read or heard somewhere that their taste depends on the plants the animal had to eat during life, much like sheep.
    Australia: Where men are men and goats are nervous.

Have done many a Gobabis goat boud in the potjie. on the yogurt/maas thing.
    Otherwise as Gf says. SLOW cook. It must never boil. In a heavy casserole in the oven at lowest setting 50-80 deg overnight and you're good.
    Enjoy.

Banned

Not a recomendation, more as a question. I am sure i read somewhere that goat makes good dried meat. I say dried meat because it was not called Biltong. It was dried meat for survival in the case I refer too. The writer also mentions some comment in regard to how good it was and how the meat was not much good for other eating.

Banned

Ah just remembered they made a stuff called (spelling pronunciation????) Pemmice or Pemi con something like that. It was a high % fat and ground goat meatin a droe wors finnish.

Banned

Pemmican is a conservation method of the North American tribal Indians, although I don't know which part. It contains amongst other things nuts, honey and dried meat. I guess the fat preserved the meat.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast