User

Default working on synthetic stocks

good day all

i'm not sure if this is in the right category. I have come across a old bell and carlson stock still in good nick that was fitted on a friends' k98 in 270 and want to put it on my k98 in 308. the action fits fine, the problem comes in with the barrel. my barrel is still in military configuration and is a bit thicker at parts and has a different shape than the in-letting of the stock.

so my thought was to carve some of the material away untill i have a decent float and then bed the action with a bedding agent to ensure consistency and tight fit.

now what i want to know is, is this possible and what is the procedure to go about in taking material of a synthetic stock.

User

Default Re: working on synthetic stocks

I have an HS Precision synthetic stock that was used with my Remington Varmint barrel. I had a barrel change done and my new barrel was quite a bit thicker and would not fit within the barrel channel of the stock. I used sand paper and took away even amounts on each side making it fit with a decent floating. I didnt have to worry about the action as it was the same and the stock comes with an aluminium bedding block.

The fit worked out great.

Best of luck

User

I bought a B&C Tactical Stock for my Remington 700 and since it is the Varminter barrel it was thicker than the original rifle that was setup in it.
    The guys at Morkel & Crouse based in the Safari and Outdoor branch at Rivonia fitted it for me with no issues

User

Steph350 I think you must go for it and work on your own stock it brings alot of joy and appreciation that you did it yourself.

In removing the material I would use a dowl stick wrapped with sandpaper in the areas that needs to be widened, the dowl stick should ensure even removal of the material

Good luck and enjoy!