Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default GVC86's first level 1 attempt

Hi guys,

Thought I would give a short write up on my first level 1 attempt. As some of you know it’s been quite a while (+/- 3.5 years) that I wanted to join the S.a.s. guys, and this weekend it came to fruition.
    Frist off, it really takes a special kind of person to don 9.5kg’s of kit and carry a 3.5kg rifle. Then do a timed hike and it finally culminating in only firing 10 rounds. Though I fired more than that and used my kits weight, this comment is directed at you guys that already completed level 1. Me and Leroy were quite impressed that you guys all donned your kit and did a level 1 also. “we finally found a crowd we fit in with” .

Ok so we started doing some training for S.a.s. after the first arranged date for our level 1 qualification (16th May) but unfortunately had to cancel. Luckily though we continued with the training and rescheduled our level 1’s. Camo was very understanding and we arranged for the 6th June.

So our training regimen was soon to be tested, we ran 3 times a week and our last timed 2.4km was 12 minutes 21 seconds. We coupled this with some push-ups and pull-ups. After this we would then walk home the 2.4kms. This seems sufficient right? Well my friends that is up for interpretation! While I feel it definitely helped I saw that we NEED to incorporate walking distance with load!

We went to the range on the Saturday the 30th May to check the zero on Leroy’s 308 and to get the scope Leroy got for the saiga sighted in, now this is where I can start ranting but I won’t. Let’s just say if you run a shooting range and increase your fees almost by 300% please let everyone know.
    Ok so we then organised with a friend on Sunday to shoot on his farm to check the zeros on the rifles. Now my friends this is where things got interesting fast. The scope we got for the saiga (secondhand from a friend) didn’t adjust and we couldn’t get the gun zeroed. So now we were faced with two options, 1. Phone Camo and once again cancel or 2. Rip off the side mount and run the saiga old school. So we went with option two, though our plans had to change. Leroy being a bit older and wearing glasses couldn’t run the steel sights so I volunteered, see I was going to run the 308 boltie.
    The time was running out and the light fading so I only got around to shooting about 10 shots with the saiga. We went to the 50m mark and shot three rounds to get on paper, then moved to the 75m mark one shot and a hit. Then on to the 100m mark and I fired 7 shots there (can’t remember the hit ratio). So with the light almost gone we had to pack up and leave, the week prior to our level 1 we could not get to any range for more practice.

On Saturday morning I got up, did all the admin and Leroy picked me up at about 04:05. Gps was programmed and off we went. Now here I will spare you all boring details of the trip, really uneventful.

We reached our destination and waited for Camo who greeted us next to the road and showed us the way forward. We started to unpack the things we would need from the clubhouse, and loaded in unto Karl’s cruiser. Tracer arrived and we did a quick kit check. Plaashaas and Dawie next and Dawie’s kit was also checked. So there we were the 3 newbs attempting level 1.

Ok so I realize that I am babbling a lot here so let’s skip forward a bit.

First off the line was Dawie and we would then leave in 5min interval with me being last.
    Ok so remember how I earlier stated that we need to incorporate walking with load into our training? Well this is about the time when I realized it! About 300m meters into the hike. Camo went ahead with the fortuner and marked the turnaround point, on his way back he stopped at each of us giving a description of the turnaround point. “Look for a piece of rebar with wood on it and a packet of chips, I want to know what chips” for some reason my interpretation of those words led me to believe it would be low to the ground. Anyhow, off I went at a steady pace, putting in a 50-100m jog every now and then just to try and make up some time. Man did I say we need to incorporate walking with loads into our training? Dawie was first of the line so no surprise when he was the first to come past me, next was Leroy. Leroy told me the turnaround point is a packet of chips and it is not far, I might even overtake him. Well guys, this is where it gets embarrassing. Camo put the packet of chips on a piece of “wood” taped to the piece of rebar. So the packet of chips was about 6ft off the ground! Remember I said my perception led me to believe it to be close to the ground?
    So I went completely past the turnaround point, up to a T-junction. I turned right and walked to a single tree thinking “this is too far Cooper, where did you miss it”. So to have proof that I did the distance I snapped a pic of the Shakespeare paper and went back to the range. On my way back guess what I found? Anyway I checked my timer and 24min have already past, “now you F#$&*d up Cooper”. So I realized that I checked my timer at about the same area where I found the true turn around point and it said 17 something minutes, great I have to make the trip back in 16 minutes. So basically the trip back was jog 100m walk 100m jog 100 walk 100m, and to be very honest guys it was a really good test of my endurance and will power. I eventually made it in I think 39 minutes (Camo can confirm).
    I immediately went to the range where Brian was RO. I fire 17 rounds all before the allotted time expired. I checked the “dust splash” behind the target and it looked to be in the correct area. After my shooting we (Leroy me and Dawie) went to collect our targets, as I approached my target my stomach fell through my arse. Nothing on target! Well there was actually one bullet which nicked the very edge of the target, so 1 in 17 shots hit. But which one? I then had to sprint 100m and make up the 9 shots I need in 30 seconds, and that didn’t work either.
    So officially I failed my first level 1, but fear not my friends! This Cooper is like a terrier, once my jaws have lock in I won’t let go!!

Come Monday our training starts again, though this would be a newer version. The rifles will be sorted and more practice with them will definitely be one.

Congratulations to Dawie and Leroy for making it on their first attempts!!!

Thanks to Camo and all the guys there for accommodating us, we also experienced a bit of what S.a.s. is about.

We did some:
    · rifle reload drills,
    · some one-handed rifle reloading and it was quite easy getting a fluid reload with the saiga,
    · we did some hijacking scenarios and this was a huge eye opener,
    · 5 shot handgun groups, and shoot 1 reload shoot 1 exc.
    · Compass practice

This also showed me a lot of the areas where I need some serious training and the guys suggested Ross’s training. Coming from Bisley long range shooting it was my first time running a semi-auto in anything other than 100m range shooting, thus the reason that I wanted to use the 308 boltie. It was also my first time using my revolver at any form of sport shooting.

I learned so much in one day that I am afraid I won’t be able to note everything here, yet I will add what I can think of now and add as I mull over things later:
    1. The hike is totally doable, though you need good quality boots that protect your ankles for when you get tired. You are not walking on a tar road and can sprain a ankle easily. I used my old issue army boots and Sunday my feet were sore, so I think good hiking boots will be better.
    2. Limit weight as far as possible, unnecessary things in your kit adds up. You will want every possible advantage you can get.
    3. Good quality rifle sling that is properly adjusted for you is a must, and practice this beforehand. We could not hike with our full kits prior to attempting this, which resulted in Leroy having to carry his 308 in hand most of the route.
    4. Eat breakfast for energy, I have this problem that I can’t eat when it’s too early. Need to re-programme myself as I could feel I needed the energy, the hunger pains when exerting so much effort is also not comfortable.
    5. I think if you would like to train for S.a.s., walking with weight will be far more important than running.
    6. If you are shooting with a borrowed rifle you need a lot of trigger time on that rifle! 10 rounds in not enough! And this ultimately proved what the S.a.s. guys preach!
    7. Running a Rollie in S.a.s. is not ideal, the highjacking scenarios again confirmed my fears of multiple attackers and running a 6 shot rollie. Reloads are a nightmare compared to the semi-autos.
    8. Practice drawing and dry firing a lot! Remember perfect practice make perfect.
    9. The S.a.s. guys are a bunch of wacko’s, like myself! We can’t just shoot we need to be tired and bruised to be fulfilled, man I fit right in there!
    10. Stop worrying about equipment, rather come test what you have. You learn a lot more by partaking than you will ever learn in front of your pc!

Like I said I will update as I remember important learnings, once again thanks to Camo and the guys for accepting us into the fold. You are truly a bunch of awesome guys and I have never felt so at home in any group. Your safety standards are top notch and the way you handle or rather teach about infringements will only let the sport grow. I am pleased to be a part of this and will only make you guys proud, and like I said we don’t want to reinvent the wheel we just want to use your brand of wheel.

For those of you who do not know we are planning on bringing S.a.s. to Mpumalanga and expanding the sport with the guidance of Camo and the crew, and our goal is to run things exactly the same way as the original S.a.s. guys.

Well that’s it…

Cheers
    George

User

Default Re: GVC86's first level 1 attempt

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Nice write up! Glad you tried it, participating with the extra weight of the kit and shooting with yout kit on changes your outlook a bit :)

Yea the guys are a bit touched, probably due to being wind blown at Funky Town, but you know when Camo gets that far off, sand happy look he is only thinking of beer.
    Last edited by CorditeCrazy; 07-06-2015 at 13:24.

User

Nice write up am sorry I missed it. Hope to meet you guys soon!

User

I'm dying to get out there with you guys. As soon as my license comes through for my MSR I wi be there.

I recon it will be great fitness and practice for when I eventually finalize that APU work.

I put in a nice order this afternoon at TacQM for most of the stuff I was short, and a couple little extras.

Nice read ! Sorry you didn't make it George, but you will next time. Bringing SAS to Mpumalanga is a great idea ps. You need to incorporate walking with loads into your training

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Nice write up! Glad you tried it, participating with the extra weight of the kit and shooting with yout kit on changes your outlook a bit :)

Yea the guys are a bit touched, probably due to being wind blown at Funky Town, but you know when Camo gets that far off, sand happy look he is only thinking of beer.
    :D
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
    Nice write up am sorry I missed it. Hope to meet you guys soon!
    Yeah, hopefully very soon;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    I'm dying to get out there with you guys. As soon as my license comes through for my MSR I wi be there.

I recon it will be great fitness and practice for when I eventually finalize that APU work.

I put in a nice order this afternoon at TacQM for most of the stuff I was short, and a couple little extras.
    Hope so too man, though you don't have to have a semi. Use what you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    Nice read ! Sorry you didn't make it George, but you will next time. Bringing SAS to Mpumalanga is a great idea ps. You need to incorporate walking with loads into your training
    Thanks for reminding me man;)

You gonna join S.a.s. when we bring it here? Middelburg ain't that far from you...

User

This is soooo on my to-do list, *sigh* one day ! ( hopefully soon ! ) :-)

User

Hehe, only have my SD license ATM.

Might be hard to hit a target @ 100m with a 9mm handgun :p. I've got 4 licenses at CFR currently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast