Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Alternative stock options for Howa short action varmint barrel

Good Day

I recently purchased a howa .308 varmint barrel with hogue stock, i would like to put a synthetic stock on that performs better than the hogue. I am NOT interested in boyds laminate or GRS. Please advise.
    Last edited by Skaaphaas; 07-06-2015 at 18:19.

User

Default Re: Alternative stick options fot Howa short action varmint barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Bauermn View Post
    Good Day

I recently purchased a howa .308 varmint barrel with hogue stock, i would like to put a synthetic stock on that performs better than the hogue.
    Better, in what way?

User

I am looking for something more rigid, got the rifle at great price and it is still at dealer but the hogue stock seems to have a LOT of flex which I dont like.

So yes a stock that is stiffer and more rigid

User

Bell&Carlson

I'd say import your own directly from them, but I got a mail from them saying they won't export :(

But I think S&O keep limited stock?

User

I am looking for something more rigid, got the rifle at great price and it is still at dealer but the hogue stock seems to have a LOT of flex which I dont like.

This may only be an issue if you intend using a bipod.

I replaced my 30-06 standard wood stock (scratches and small nicks) with the Hogue overmould.
    Literally screwed on the new stock and it shot to the same point of impact as before.
    I have also noticed a distinct reduction in felt recoil with the Hogue stock and I don't worry too much about getting nicks and scratches in it.

I would use it first and if you still don't like it then change it.

User

So I keep hearing.

I have the exact rifle.

You are looking for solutions to a problem that doesn't exist. The older hogue stocks perhaps, the new heavy barrel versions are all pillar bedded.

Mine shoots 1/4 moa, all day, every day, the only thing it flexes is my bank overdraft in rounds fired.

User

Default Re: Alternative stock options for Howa short action varmint barrel

As mentioned, the hogue stocks work well and I personally have never experienced the problems others complain about after more than 800 shots.

If you want to replace the stock though with a synthetic stock, goolge smoking guns stocks. Guy in potch that makes custom stocks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    So I keep hearing.

I have the exact rifle.

You are looking for solutions to a problem that doesn't exist. The older hogue stocks perhaps, the new heavy barrel versions are all pillar bedded.

Mine shoots 1/4 moa, all day, every day, the only thing it flexes is my bank overdraft in rounds fired.
    Do you use a bi-pod? If it is a non issue, than that is great news. Thanks

Banned

I still can not decide on those stocks, had many Howa rifles brought to me to check out or with poi issues. Found them generally to be good shooters out box even had two , a 30 06 and 308 I think, the one was being silly.Just swopped his stocks to see if problems followed stock - both perfect. Inserted two rods in another and ABE epoxy and that worked. Only had one touching stock and a few that could be made to touch. How ever have not had a Howa with Hogue stock brought to me in2/3years

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I still can not decide on those stocks, had many Howa rifles brought to me to check out or with poi issues. Found them generally to be good shooters out box even had two , a 30 06 and 308 I think, the one was being silly.Just swopped his stocks to see if problems followed stock - both perfect. Inserted two rods in another and ABE epoxy and that worked. Only had one touching stock and a few that could be made to touch. How ever have not had a Howa with Hogue stock brought to me in2/3years
    How did you do the epoxy job? Did you just lay two rods down and epoxy over them? I might want to do this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast