Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Practice weight vs carry weight

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    The POI rises as the bullet stays in the barrel a bit longer? Can someone please explain this to me? Please assume I know the basics and don't speculate about the barrel tilting upwards, the bullet as left the barrel long before it unlocks.

Or should it be in the "BS you've heard at the range" thread?
    Not sure you should attribute the increased recoil to time in barrel.

Newtons law is simple, the force it exerts to propel the bullet forward is the exact force that gets exerted on the pistol/platform.

If the bullet is heavier the force required to propel the bullet(or inertia) is greater, and such the opposite force greater, meaning more recoil and more pistol lift. Case in point if you shoot a heavier bullet slow, but with the same energy as a smaller bullet shot faster the recoil will be the same, regardless of time in barrel, if the platform is the same.

Yes, recoil starts the second the bullet begins to move, but is directly related to the force exerted on the bullet, not the time it takes to exit the muzzle.

That's to technical.

Here is the short reason why heavier bullets shoot higher.
    In the average 9mm for instance. You load about 15 rounds in full mag.
    The difference between 124 and 147 is 23 grains. Multiply this by 15 rounds.
    This is 345grains.

Meaning the grip part of your handgun weighs 345grains more then the guy next to you who loaded 124.
    this weight makes the rear of the pistol or grip sit lower due to increase weight. And subsequently lifts the nose of the pistol.
    Same as when you overload your car at the back. Your headlights will suddenly shine much higher in road.

I think this could be the real reason.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    That's to technical.

This is 345grains.

Meaning the grip part of your handgun weighs 345grains more then the guy next to you who loaded 124.
    this weight makes the rear of the pistol or grip sit lower due to increase weight. And subsequently lifts the nose of the pistol.
    Same as when you overload your car at the back. Your headlights will suddenly shine much higher in road.

Not saying you are wrong, but I believe the correct reason is the fact that the heavier bullet spends a while longer in the barrel. I've read it more than once on different forums, so it must be the truth

User

That's to technical.

This is 345grains.

You're wrong, boet. Look carefully where the pivot point between the gun and your hand is.

:- P

ETA: also, assuming that the heavier bullet will really impact higher (I'm not conviced yet, but let's for the moment say this is so...) if you load only one in the chamber (i.e. empty mag) then your argument falls apart.

User

Nope, sorry ... I think all of this needs to move to "that other thread"

If you look at slow mo footage you clearly see that the bullet is out of the barrel long before any movement of the system starts ... If you sights are on target when you press the trigger it does not matter what the weight of the grip is, you will hit the target.

But then, this is just my 20 odd year pistol shooting experience talking here ... no scientific proof

User

Thanks Khumba. That bullet leaves the barrel LONG before any lift starts to happen.

User

That's to technical.

This is 345grains.

Look, I'm an absolute idiot when it comes to physics. But, in my limited knowledge on the subject this is unfortunately BS. Then the dudes in Open or a .45 they will be shooting over the target the whole time.

So I can expect to shoot lower after every shot?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Thanks Khumba. That bullet leaves the barrel LONG before any lift starts to happen.
    This is pretty much my feeling.

User

OP, I reckon a change of sights are in order and your problem will be solved.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast