Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trigger stick

User

Default Re: Trigger stick

Sorry to recall an old thread, but I'm want to get me one of these, but for R2300.00 I would first like to find out if some of you have had the opportunity to use one. This is the Primos delux gen2 (Jim Shockey) It will for my 12 year old son to use in the veld while walking and stalking.

Why this one - The height adjustment for me is nice, from sit to stand.

Any thoughts?

User

Quote Originally Posted by B-west View Post
    Sorry to recall an old thread, but I'm want to get me one of these, but for R2300.00 I would first like to find out if some of you have had the opportunity to use one. This is the Primos delux gen2 (Jim Shockey) It will for my 12 year old son to use in the veld while walking and stalking.

Why this one - The height adjustment for me is nice, from sit to stand.

Any thoughts?
    I bought these recently and used them for the first time on a hunt, I've never used sticks before this.. I have the tripod ones.. They open quick , quiet and smoothly , they are light and have a lock so if you push the trigger by mistake whilst open they dnt retract.. I shot my first animal standing decent terrain ,and second one kneeling rocky terrain..all shots were exactly where wanted them, All I can say is that it made everything very easy for me and was a pleasure to use. I will be shooting with them at every opportunity now..I can most definately recommend them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by mo-manack View Post
    I bought these recently and used them for the first time on a hunt, I've never used sticks before this.. I have the tripod ones.. They open quick , quiet and smoothly , they are light and have a lock so if you push the trigger by mistake whilst open they dnt retract.. I shot my first animal standing decent terrain ,and second one kneeling rocky terrain..all shots were exactly where wanted them, All I can say is that it made everything very easy for me and was a pleasure to use. I will be shooting with them at every opportunity now..I can most definately recommend them.
    Thank you for reply

User

Don't rush out and drop the cash. I have used a friends one at the range a few times. They do deploy quickly and in a controlled manner, no problem there.

They are stable up to the point of the junction of the legs, agreed. After that the stability depends on how well you can stabilise your body while holding onto a rifle and lining up the sights on target. That little junction below the Y and the Y itself provide a whole of of pivoting, even with the two point accessory for an extra R500 odd offers only minor benefit if any over conventional sticks.

I was happy to have the opportunity to be able to try them out a few times as they did look tempting.

Now I would first give them a test drive before taking the dive, it is a lot of cash. Personally I have no plans on buying one, based on the experience I had whilst using them.

User

I don't like shooting off fancy contraptions, but in all honesty they do work. If you look at the primos trigger tripod, you can also consider dropping some extra sheckles and get the 2 point gun rest as an add on. (http://www.primos.com/products/trigg...oint-gun-rest/). This gives the rifle a bit more of a stable platform to shoot off. (not just the v)

Where I found swivel action on the tripod to be great versus the Traditional Skiet Stokke (or those new fancy shooting rests that look like a collapsible camping chair. ) Very rarely have I found that ground is perfectly level or free from any obstacles which allow for a quick, inconspicuous position change. The tripods feet all free fall to the required level to assure a level platform and the swivel action on the tripod allows you to change direction effortlessly without having to look up from the scope. This allows you to track a moving target or quickly shift the target from the far left to the far right of a herd without having to re-arrange the furniture.

User

Make sure you keep them clean from dust else they struggle to deploy and jam.

User

I have a set and love them, EXCEPT that they are very sensitive. Mine worked great for the first couple of outings, but then the one leg started sticking. Took them back to the shop that I bought them from and was told that it was a common problem. Also, good luck getting the importer to replace them. Dropped the manufacturer an email and I currently have my second set. I'm a lot more gentle with them and so far, so good.

Shooting sticks are great once you get used to them. I've probably shot over 100 animals this year off a tripod (mostly sitting but standing and kneeling too). I couldn't get myself to spend >R2000 on a pair so I made my own. Got the idea from a clip off you tube. It's not very pretty looking but it's solid and does the job. Sticks are bulky but you get used to carrying them. Personally I wouldn't hunt without a pair and I always carry them myself. I also carry the rifle, binos, range finder, gps, ammo and a knife...lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2