Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20
    User

Default Re: guard dog come true man stopper

will watch video tonight some reason my boss will frown on me taking a hour to youtube during work hours.
    agreed with danger of dogs becoming too arm focused, but that is high class problems i think, to get to that level dog has at least gone threw huge amount of training and is already in rite frame of mind so will be far less work to correct than it was to get him to that point.
    love working dogs could watch stuff like this all year and it really is best outlet for hyper pets with added bonus of adding to house hold security

Quote Originally Posted by top dog View Post
    this video sums it up pretty well

but it all comes down to putting in the effort
    This 'experiment' was BS. The dogs were not genuinely separated at first.

One dog looked positively geriatric.

Secondly, dogs tend to react to their owner's anxiety. Clearly the guy in the house knew there was no threat and the dogs perceived this. Same with the intruder who was not scared as a typical burglar would be.

In the lone dog test, the suspect was wearing a bite suit. Dogs are trained to bite it - some will even bite a sleave with nobody wearing it. We don't know if that dog had experience with that before.

He mentions pedigree a lot, but this does not determine 100% of how a dog will turn out. You have to select particular drive from a litter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Absolutely. Dogs instinctively protect pack. They have to be taught how to fight men though. We have spent 10's of thousands of years teaching them not to bite people.

The training also helps develop a pack bond with the handler. This is critical.,

With reference to the second GSD in the video. Dogs who do a lot of bite work can become equipment focused to the point where they forget about the aggressor and focus on the sleeve or the suit. What happens then is they become aggressive to the kit and not the man. If the decoy uses a hidden sleeve or no kit and a muzzle very often such dogs display a much different approach and won't bite. I would have liked to have seen him do that demo with hidden kit. That would be a much better indication of what the dog would do.

I agree with him the little 'gator though.

These dogs will fuck you up.
    At 8:50 when mid bite he just exhales water

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    Secondly, dogs tend to react to their owner's anxiety. Clearly the guy in the house knew there was no threat and the dogs perceived this. Same with the intruder who was not scared as a typical burglar would be.

In the lone dog test, the suspect was wearing a bite suit. Dogs are trained to bite it - some will even bite a sleave with nobody wearing it. We don't know if that dog had experience with that before.

He mentions pedigree a lot, but this does not determine 100% of how a dog will turn out. You have to select particular drive from a litter.
    Quite correct. For what its worth the dude in the first test was wearing a suit too. You can see it in his reflection.

Genetics are important but, as you say, are not the be all and end all.

There must be a distinction made between guard dogs and protection dogs. Guard dogs tend to have a much lower level of training and are taught to bite anything in a particular area. Correctional services used some brutal and inhumane training methods to create "ganghonde" back in the day. Essentially they beat and abused dogs into being vicious. The dogs would be let out in fenced areas, or in the passages of prisons. They had to be lured back into their kennels with food or captured with long poles. The experiment didn't really last long fortunately.

True protection dogs will react to threats even if the handler is unaware of them.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Default guard dog come true man stopper

In my opinion I would go for a German Shepherd or 2. These are working dogs and if trained correctly provide incredible protection for their owners and property alike. These dogs require daily physical and mental training i.e. Long walks and short runs and games that challenge their mental abilities. You cannot just put a GS on your property and due to his/her large size and the fact that they will bark at strangers believe this means protection. It's a little known fact that almost 90% of dogs u assume are aggressive enough to protect you will actually move backward from a stranger that enters your yard UNLESS they have been trained correctly. I have worked with these dogs for a while within the police unit and I highly recommend them. A few health issues eg hip and joint issues due to bad breeding but should u get one from good lineage there have been significant improvements in dog foods that really do manage to avoid them getting these ailments.
    So great diet, lots of exercise and mental stimulation, daily training and love and u will have a great companion and protector for life. Best combo in my opinion:
    1 Jack Russell (early warning system)
    2 German Shepherds (reaction unit)

Here are mine :
    THE ALARM

THE CAPTAIN

THE BACKUP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

^^^ Your Early warning system looks meaner than your Reaction unit

User

That JR looks like he has Fox in him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GSD & MALINOIS that is what you call a team.....

Properly trained in a lot of scenarios, let them come.

Oh ja and then what about the small dog that thinks he is a lion aka Mr Jack Russel.....

Any dog can be a good Protection dog.
    But the training must be implemented correctly.

User

We have a 'brak'...and 'brak' is describing it kindly...got her as a puppy from someone who found 'it' in Lenasia and thought it was a Husky (we do a lot of work with Husky Rescue etc). I also have 3 Huskies...USELESS guard dogs!! The 'brak' on the other hand is probably part Africanus, part Husky, part GSD, part 'whatever climbed the fence'.. Best guard dog ever!!! Nothing moves near a wall without her knowing. She distrusts everyone, even close friends of us (one approached my daughter too quick last year and she went for him...I reprimanded him, not the dog). All our dogs sleep inside, she sleeps on my daughters bed.. One night she started barking and wanted to be outside so bad she tore down some curtains. I suspect we had someone in the yard but they made off the moment the dog barked and lights went on inside the house. Would love a Belgian Malinois one day though!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20