Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: guard dog come true man stopper

Train a big dog to attack and get a little dog to investigate and call the big dog. Something like a Boerboel/Jack Russel combo.

User

No expert but owned a thoroughbred Boerboel. He was a very loving dog to family only and domestic. The rest could not even get near the gate or kitchen door. He did not only protect our house but also the surrounding neighbors. Tuff as nails and very intimidating. We have not had a single incident to date.

He was extremely protective and weary over any new or strange faces.

Unfortunately he was poisoned on Sunday evening which came with great shock and upset to the family.

Will definitely be replacing him with another Boerboel.

User

I recently got my latest Boerboel. As Messor said; "A tactical Boerboel" :)

I've had several. Currently one older bitch (very big) and now the young one. He is still young, but very bright. Unfortunately a little stubborn as well, but that might get better with time.

Boerboels are very protective.

Funny, (for me anyway) the other day a guy wanted to greet me, but a very aggressive attitude (you all know them, almost dominating type - hand thrust forward...). Well he got a face full of unhappy 80kg. Luckily she is obedient (well she probably reckoned that my hysterical NOOOOO, means let go) and just gave him a little nibble on his hand.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    With dogs, you get out what you put in.

The larger breeds, like Boerboels and Cane Corsos often have health problems, caused usually by irresponsible and unethical breeding practices. A friend of mine had to put down a 3 month old Boerboel pup because its hips were screwed.

Maligators are great dogs. Super alert, fast and strong, generally healthy. They can be difficult to train though and are unforgiving of training mistakes. They are not a great choice for a casual or first time handler.

GSDs have some health issues which can be mitigated by breeder selection. They tend to be more biddable and less squirrelly than Maligators, but aren't as energetic or fast.

Here's the thing about training dogs for protection work: You must be prepared to send your dog to die in your place.
    thought crossed my mind about a maligator but to add another hyper hard to train dog in the mix with a already trainned dog that is almost impossible to keep busy not so much of appealing.
    big dog big problems as my vet always used to say but rite top breeder guess that is a option.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcs View Post
    I also had a pitbull and thought to myself, "meh, he's actually a bit small". So now we have four!
    4 pits sounds great in theory then i just cast my mind back to the 5 pit puppies i have had threw my life and man i am not keen any more, have you seen these bully xxl things ment to have attitude of pit with extra size http://shockerlinesa.com/
    GSD not going to happen either got nailed buy one as a kid and they scare me

Get a dog that's nice to be around, one that you enjoy. At the end of the day you have to live with the dog.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    Train a big dog to attack and get a little dog to investigate and call the big dog. Something like a Boerboel/Jack Russel combo.
    I agree, smaller dogs are much lighter sleepers whereas bigger ones are not.

I read somewhere on the forum that "small dogs are the alarm system and the big ones are armed response."

User

For me, a 'guard dog' only has to alert me/someone that there are unwanted visitors.

Id rather spend my money on electric fencing, walls, security gates etc than use my dog as a first line of defense.

Loyal companion and friend first, guard dog second

User

Boerboels have the best built in protection without training. The one owner thing I don't like though ,they can turn on other family members.
    I see Boerboels as best for single females.

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    For me, a 'guard dog' only has to alert me/someone that there are unwanted visitors.

Id rather spend my money on electric fencing, walls, security gates etc than use my dog as a first line of defense.

Loyal companion and friend first, guard dog second
    With you on this.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Get a dog that's nice to be around, one that you enjoy. At the end of the day you have to live with the dog.
    dog to me = family just like the added benefit of dog guarding house while not there

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast