Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Assistance required - IT

Hey all

We need some IT types to help us out quick-quick please.

Basically we are hoping that someone has a generic data-capturing module that we can add to the GOSA website as a matter of urgency.

The form needs to have five fields for entering text and three fields for selecting options from drop-down lists.

As the form is filled out online by different people the data needs to be dumped into an Excel Spreadsheet in order for us to access and use the data.

Project leader on this will be Speed_Freak who knows about this type of stuff and talks in codes like PHP and such...

If anyone can assist please contact him... I'll ask him to provide a mail address or something.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Default Re: Assistance required - IT

Ideally we are looking for a predefined Contact Page, that we can modify and allow the data to be captured in a CSV or Excel Document
    Does anyone have something like this already setup, I have some Dev guys but they will charge me for the time, so having the template we can use will save us a bunch of time, effort and money

If you're on WordPress thenthen gravity forms let's you do that in 5 mins...
    If not on WordPress, maybe think about switching to it... It's free and a massive amount of plug-ins are available.
    Last edited by dAyLiTe; 02-07-2015 at 16:01.

User

I think you might be better off doing a DB on the webpage and have an export option to export the DB to CSV/Excel.

User

All I know at the moment is that the website is currently a PHP page.
    Unsure if it's enabled for Wordpress atm, will have to speak the current admin on the webpage.

Andycap, if that is a less painful method, then we should look at it, do you have a template we could possibly use?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    I think you might be better off doing a DB on the webpage and have an export option to export the DB to CSV/Excel.
    This ^

Also, what platform (codebase) are we talking about here? Perl, PHP, HTML, ASP, Java?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    All I know at the moment is that the website is currently a PHP page.
    Unsure if it's enabled for Wordpress atm, will have to speak the current admin on the webpage.

Andycap, if that is a less painful method, then we should look at it, do you have a template we could possibly use?
    Ah, OK.

PHP ... I'm out!

User

Most hosting companies give you a built in DB option, 1 free database with x amount of tables etc.

dAyLiTe's system is quicker and he has a lot of experience with these things.

Using a DB would need someone with skills to talk to the DB.

Sadly i wont be able to help with it.

Think dAyLiTe and Lian are your guys.

PHP has built has a built-in function for writing to csv, this really should not be difficult to code. I don't have a template but its a simple webform. Will be happy to do it for you depending on how urgent this is.

Your site is not WordPress based. It's something you could consider for the future as dayLite suggested given the ease of use and plugins available

However it would depend where and how it is hosted, as you would be writing to a csv file stored locally on the web server and would need appropriate permissions.

User

Andycap, could you get dAyLiTe or Lian onto this thread to see if they can help out?
    Also trying to get the admin of the GOSA webpage to join us here, maybe he can answer any other tech questions

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast