Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Temporary firearm license

Hi guys,

I added a CZ P07 to my collection on Friday. Is the regulation still in power to apply for a temporary license to use the FA while I wait for my license to be processed?

I want to start using it ASAP to practise Carry Gun and Pocket Gun.

User

Default Re: Temporary firearm license

You can, but you need very good reasons for needing a temporary licence

User

The DFO said it is a waist of time and money. They (CFR) process the temp permit, then void the 271 and the temp permit could also take six months.

Guess I'll have to wait after handing in the paperwork and hope it goes through quickly.

Much sense in what your DFO is saying,I am still waiting on a temp it's been awhile almost the same time period a license would take....And getting hold of that Department,well let's just say you have a better chance to adopt an elephant at the SPCA and getting it to bark and giving it a pet name Tiny

User

A temporary authorisation application is supposed to be fast (I'm under the impression there was a court ruling that they should be processed within 7 days, but I can't find citations to back that up). I have never had one take longer than a few weeks. Perhaps vo1ty's DFO never actually submitted it - that's where my longest temp auth delays have been.

Lots of people submit both a licence application and a temporary authorisation application at the same time. I have heard of the temporary authorisation application being cancelled if the licence application reaches the "for consideration" status, but never the other way around. It doesn't make sense either - to my understanding, a temporary authorisation gives permission to possess while the "registered owner" (Incorrect terminology) is unchanged. A licence application seeks to change that "owner", so cancelling the temp makes some sense in that case, and not there other way around.

But of course, the CFR is quite adept at violating its own rules and procedures.

The short version: If you have an urgent need for the firearm, apply for a temporary authorisation. If your DFO argues, say you just want to try, and that it's your money you're gambling, or something along those lines. Hopefully, they acquiesce and do their part swiftly.

Have done plenty of them. Jan/Feb this year again. And I live in CPT.
    Called 518. Also costs 140. I give it in with 271 at DFO.
    On 518 I add the reason why. Reason is I need it to compete with.
    Dedicated papers is added as part of app. Then I also supply a calendar of club.
    Showing future dates. And mark them. Saying I need the firearm for these dates.
    And the 271 will take 2-3 months. And this will then not allow me to participate.
    And I will loose out on this years scoring.
    About a third of a page motivation.

I add all the same docs as per my 271.

None of my 518 apps have taken longer then 2 weeks to go through. This is their rule to process it in 2 weeks.
    Its normally valid for 3 months.
    Your DFO must process it quickly. Then take to provincial. Provincial then has to courier it up to person at CFR the next day. This is what you pay for.
    They then take about a week max. You have o phone 6111 to make sure its approved. Then your DFO prints it at local station and signs it.
    He then puts 3 months on.

I have on several occasions spoken to Col Skakhani Head of Western Cape CFR. And ive had never issues with any 518.
    If your in Western Cape. You can even phone Natalie or the Cpt I think Lombard whos in charge at Provincial.
    And confirm the 518 process with them. They will tell you they courier it the next day after receiving it.

If your DFO tells you anything else. He is honestly just plain lazy to do the work around a 518.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Then your DFO prints it at local station and signs it.
    He then puts 3 months on.
    This has not been the process for a about a year already. They literally disabled the feature that allows DFO's to print out the temporary authorisation. The piece of paper gets printed out in the Veritas Building in Pretoria, signed and stamped there, and then makes its way back to you.

Also, your DFO does not get to decide how long it's valid for. Back when they could print it, that's all they could do - print the document and sign it. The maximum allowable period is 12 months, and I see no reason for non-tourists to apply for anything less, but the point is that the CFR still makes the call on what period to grant in the end.

Hi @ Ashley @ Shooty

I know that my Section 21 was captured at CFR,but then nothing further happened
    Can you maybe PM me Col Skakhani number,Maybe he can point me in the right direction

Thank You

Maybe PTA is different. My DFO prints it while I wait. And that was Jan or Feb still this year for a SW Shield I bought.
    Was approved on a Friday Morning. And I drove after work at 14h00 to collect from them on my way home.
    Sorry was on the storage permit he wrote the date. The temp he just printed and signed.

Vo1ty. I have a lot of times phoned 6111 number. And then just ask to speak to her. But she does Western Cape only.
    When I walk into my DFO office. They have a board on the wall. Showing how many licenses they handed in over the last months.
    How many came back. On it. It actually shows on the top Col Skakhanis contact details as well as the Appeals persons name and contact.
    Never worried about the appeals person. As last year I just rather re applied after submitting a good standing letter older then 3 months.

Thank You....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast