Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Essential accessories for a first rifle?

Hi there. I need some help. I just purchased my first rifle, my license app is receiving attention at the CFR at the moment. I'm praying that it gets approved and at the same time thinking about the additional equipment I'll need. So far I've purchased the rifle and the scope. I'll probably be hunting in the bushveld not on the open plains. Any help will be appreciated

User

Default Re: Essential accessories for a first rifle?

Something I learned yesterday: a decent shooting rest/bag is a must for sighting in and general range shooting.
    A good strap or belt for the veld.
    Cleaning kit.

User

Get comfortable with shooting it. Go and buy a few boxes of ammo and shoot them off. I would also get snap caps and do a bit of dry fire to perfect my technique.

So far my list, safe (obviously), rifle bag, sling, cleaning kit and bag rest and some rounds. I'm considering a cheap but decent range finder and I wasn't sure about the tripod.

@MJC I'm guessing by snap caps you mean 'empty' rounds. Sorry I'm new to this. Is dry firing without them not good for your firearm?

Banned

At home - a full required cleaning box of goodies, including some cold blueing.
    bush - for me 2 knives (not jungle hero things) binnos - range finder and 3 leg shooting sticks. A back pack. Wide brimmed hat and camera.

User

If your application is receiving attention at the CFR it means the safe has already been crossed off the list and been installed, in line with what you indicated on your application, right? ;-)

I have never used a rangefinder or bino's in bushveld conditions.

I would spend that money on ammo, or even better, a reloading setup.

User

No worries man, we all more than happy to offer advice :) You could use an empty case i suppose but i like proper snap caps.. I'm sure if you dry fire your rifle now and then its no issue but I'm not going to dry fire excessively without the use of a snap cap.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    @MJC I'm guessing by snap caps you mean 'empty' rounds. Sorry I'm new to this. Is dry firing without them not good for your firearm?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_cap

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    No worries man, we all more than happy to offer advice :) You could use an empty case i suppose but i like proper snap caps.. I'm sure if you dry fire your rifle now and then its no issue but I'm not going to dry fire excessively without the use of a snap cap.
    I find the idea that snap caps cost more than actual rounds ridiculous. I paid R120 for 3 for my shotgun, whereas R120 could get me 25 rounds of average quality shells. If it's the same deal with rifle ammo vis snap caps, I'd go with the empty brass. Though I will admit that snap caps just give me a more confortable feeling when I'm pulling the trigger inside my house. The fairies won't put a new primer, powder and shot in a snap cap overnight :P

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast