Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Essential accessories for a first rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberpuppy View Post
    I find the idea that snap caps cost more than actual rounds ridiculous. I paid R120 for 3 for my shotgun, whereas R120 could get me 25 rounds of average quality shells. If it's the same deal with rifle ammo vis snap caps, I'd go with the empty brass. Though I will admit that snap caps just give me a more comfortable feeling when I'm pulling the trigger inside my house. The fairies won't put a new primer, powder and shot in a snap cap overnight :P
    ---Take a piece of conveyor belt, cut a corner of with carpet knife and trim it down to fit in primer hole epoxy it in and it will outlast you as a snap cap. piece of 4x4 rubber from Tyre would also work

Banned

I have never used a rangefinder or bino's in bushveld conditions.

I would spend that money on ammo, or even better, a reloading setup.[/QUOTE]
    -- Dude just what is it you do in bush with out binno's, I use mine even when I am not hunting. Just my love of the bush requires a set of binnos. As for a range finder, i suppose if you have made up your mind you only going to hunt bush velt and never venture to open areas - turn down spring buck, Mt Reebuck and perhaps some varminting hunts, then yea you wont need a range finder. When the OP finds that his "probably hunting bush velt" becomes another bit more open than envisioned, binno's and rangefinder are not things you shoot out and buy quickly before a hunt.
    Me I would rather have both and not use them this week end than not have them and need them next week end.

@treeman that sounds like a great idea for a snap cap. I would love to hunt springbok and Mt reedbuck eventually, that's why I was leaning towards a rangefinder. Could you perhaps get one for 3k or is it one of those 'if you can't spend 5k on rangefinder, save up till you can!'

My dfo gave me an undertaking to sign, to purchase a safe once the license is approved. Apparently it's acceptable.

What about rifle bags? soft one's or the hard cases?

Thanks for the advice thus far guys

Banned

Funny thing with range finders that I have found.
    The more expensive the finder the easier it fits n pocket, smaller.
    The more expensive it is - better / higher tech the less hunting suitable it is.
    My old Tasco range finder was not pocket size but you could range find from the back of a moving bakkie - you could range find a general direction and get a distance in a split second, ok when you ranged it a second time it was often a different distance by 5/10 m. So see a buck on mt side lift range and get a reading within 10m absolutely perfect for hunting.
    I then paid like 3k more for a Bushnell - it fits in any pocket and is accurate to like .5 of a meter. Top shelf boet > Naaaaaaaa ! you got to hold it absolutely dead still and have a notable object to range off to get any reading , then it takes 10 seconds to give a reading. It seems so concerned getting accurate to precision .5 that it wont just send a about 125 m reading give or take a meter. i actually hate my precision range finder. Its just past what you need. Hard cases are great till you start running out of packing space on a trip or need to squeeze in the back seat on a trip. Sit with a soft bag between legs for a lil hr trip then put a case between legs for same trip.

While researching rangefinders, I came across the Nikon aculon, it's well priced at R2400 and apparently it's really small. However I'm not sure how effective it is. Point taken about the comfort of travelling with the case, but what about the scope taking a bump while driving to your destination.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I have never used a rangefinder or bino's in bushveld conditions.

I would spend that money on ammo, or even better, a reloading setup.
    -- Dude just what is it you do in bush with out binno's, I use mine even when I am not hunting. Just my love of the bush requires a set of binnos. As for a range finder, i suppose if you have made up your mind you only going to hunt bush velt and never venture to open areas - turn down spring buck, Mt Reebuck and perhaps some varminting hunts, then yea you wont need a range finder. When the OP finds that his "probably hunting bush velt" becomes another bit more open than envisioned, binno's and rangefinder are not things you shoot out and buy quickly before a hunt.
    Me I would rather have both and not use them this week end than not have them and need them next week end.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I also use bino's in the bush when not hunting, but I have never - while carrying a rifle - used the bino's that I have taken along on a bushveld hunt.

I agree with the rest of your post though. If your hunting is going to expand to other terrain, I'm sure you'll find the use of bino's and a rangefinder very useful. But, if you're firstly going to hunt in the bush the next season or two, you'd be using a reloading setup before you'd be using a rangefinder. (Assuming reloading interests you of course). Or ammunition, you'll get more from practice than you will from a gadget in your backpack.

I fail to see why you can't go buy bino's and a rangefinder "quickly" in the weeks preceding a plains hunt. Using them is not rocket science.

Banned

we live in different financial worlds then.
    I fail to see why you can't go buy bino's and a rangefinder "quickly" in the weeks preceding a plains hunt. Using them is not rocket science.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    While researching rangefinders, I came across the Nikon aculon, it's well priced at R2400 and apparently it's really small. However I'm not sure how effective it is. Point taken about the comfort of travelling with the case, but what about the scope taking a bump while driving to your destination.
    Despite what you may have heard - it takes a proper knock to bump a scope out - think about what it goes through when you shoot. But not saying it cant happen, but I am sure you not going lo let it fall out car while traveling.Your padded case is good to go - ask thousand of shooters, and then look and see how many hunters you see with solid cases.

Do you guys use tripods/bipods while hunting in the bush? or just use a tree or rock etc? I really don't want to buy stuff that's going to stay in my cupboard.

Ammo dude get ammo and practice standing and shooting, once your rifle is sighted. Practice lifting to your shoulder and making a shot at a target at 100M
    Also a bag is useful to transport ther rifle.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast