Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Black Powder Interest and Availability?

Following up on the MP200 in Black Powder rifles topic i spoke to friend of mine again that considered jumping through all the legal hoops to legally produce, store, transport and sell black powder (he is a chemical engineer).

After speaking to him he has two questions...
    1: What is the current state of supply of BP in ZA?
    2: Is there is a big enough interest?

So if a local manufacturer produces Black Powder at what i believe would be a extremely competitive price (if not lower) would the interest be there?

My experience with Black Powder is limited to firing a few round with a friends rifle and revolver.

User

Default Re: Black Powder Interest and Availability?

1) Afaik none. The manufacturer of Sanadex stopped production after the manufacturer's neighbour started complaining and some legal niggles popped up. Since then prices on the remaining stock has skyrocketed. I don't know how many alternatives there are currently.
    2) There is a big request for BP, but it doesn't seem like anyone is interested in pursuing it.

A friend of mine is pretty big into BP and he has explained the whole #1 bit, and it was awesome some years ago, and then it went south.
    I am aware though that with some rifles that require BP (or a BP alternative) cannot shoot ie MP200 or whatever would be the closest match on our shelves.

User

I would certainly be interested in a "Nitro Replacement" for BP especially a powder that can be used in large capacity shells like the Martini or Snider. It is my understanding that BP is quite unstable and cannot be transported and stored as easy as the Somchem powders. If one could buy, transport and store BP like Nitro powders, then such a BP will also be great.

Yea he did a bit of research before and i can remember some restrictions but iirc non where so bad as to make it completely unrealistic...

User

I shoot black powder and I know a couple of people in my shooting club also shoot black powder. A BP alternative or just a well price BP source would be welcomed. At the moment the only source I am aware of is AEL, and although the price is high, it is still available so I am happy. I've never used the BP replacements but I am aware of the advantages. For me, first prize is a more affordable alternative to the currently available BP sources.

It would sell very well if you could produce something simular to Sannadex, but in a two part mix, for ease of transport!!

User

Black powder is a simple mixture of the 3 component chemicals. The manufacturing complications come in the following:
    Incorporating the Potassium Nitrate, Sulphur, and Charcoal together is a mechanical process. Normally ball milling is used. High pressures force the sulphur into the charcoal matrix, making an intimate mixture.
    The charcoal is absolutely critical in that type of wood makes a difference, as does the season it is cut! The pyrolysis temperature is another variable. All these variables must be controlled in order to get a CONSISTENT
    product. The consistency is the trick here. Goex and Elephant, as far as I could find ascertain, blend their product to get consistent results batch to batch. Consistency is the aim, but very difficult to hit.
    Over the years there have been a couple of attempts at BP manufacture in SA, so the legal side is do-able. There is a good market in the slate quarries for blasting purposes, where you do not need the BP shooters' consistency.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 3Gun View Post
    It would sell very well if you could produce something simular to Sannadex, but in a two part mix, for ease of transport!!
    I know one of the manufacturer's wanted to re-try it using an A and B compound that you can mix, but you have two problems: we're not allowed to mix something to create an explosive (is there a way around that, as an instruction for use?) and b)I'm assuming you need to mix it good and proper with the right ratios.

User

Black Powder is still available through AEL but the popularity of BP shooting has dropped off drastically due to the cost of this BP. R2000.00 per Kg is crazy considering that you should not be paying more than about R300.00 per Kg. Sanadex was very popular due to this as it was selling for about R350.00 per Kg.

I believe that BP shooting would revive if a cost effective powder became available.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy View Post
    Black Powder is still available through AEL but the popularity of BP shooting has dropped off drastically due to the cost of this BP. R2000.00 per Kg is crazy considering that you should not be paying more than about R300.00 per Kg. Sanadex was very popular due to this as it was selling for about R350.00 per Kg.

I believe that BP shooting would revive if a cost effective powder became available.
    IIRC the last time he looked at this he did a rough cost calc and the price would be around R300-R400/kg.

Thanx for the feedback guys i'll send the info through to him and from there it is in his hands what he decides to do with it.

Please if you have more info, etc keep posting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast