Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Black Powder Interest and Availability?

I would love to get into BP shooting if it were easily available and affordable. Hope your friend comes right

User

Interest in black powder firearms; other than collectors; is pretty low at the moment; chiefly due to the cost and availability of black powder, or a suitable alternative.

From a very high level of interest/use a few years ago; the first blow to the sport was the introduction of competency certificates and the costs/hassles that went with it. Then; the demise of Sannadex, which offered an affordable BP alternative to shooters.

Then; AEL went and withdrew their stocks from all their depots; save for Modderfontein. this means that; to get powder, one has to travel to Gauteng to get stock and, given the costs involved; it is fast killing the sport.

Despite this, the market for original B guns is still alive and will remain so, no matter the cost of powder.

But: If someone can re introduce a BP alternative (like Pyrodex, Sannadex ect.), I believe the market will revive, and revive in a big way; not only for the muzzle loading guys, but for those using BP cartridge guns as well.

A BP substitute has far fewer hassles regarding storage/transport etc and in the price is more reasonable (like the old Sannadex or close to it); a lot of dealers will again stock.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyTazz4Ever View Post
    IIRC the last time he looked at this he did a rough cost calc and the price would be around R300-R400/kg.

Thanx for the feedback guys i'll send the info through to him and from there it is in his hands what he decides to do with it.

Please if you have more info, etc keep posting.

Are there any updates on this?

I have always wanted to try out Blackpowder shooting, but hearing about supply issues and costs its a bit of a deterrent.

User

Old thread revival

Any news on Sannadex 2 pack ? Given the current steep prices of BP in my area of 1700/KG would be better of mothballing/ deactivating my ML and getting a .45/70 Govmt Marlin L/A or Ruger No 1 would be more fun and cheaper to shoot.

User

Anybody got the skinny on the recent announcement by the BP producer in NW Province? Iunderstood the first consignment went to Cape Town a month or so ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2