Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Table Mountain National Park and EDC firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    if they make as much as a peep, it will be political suicide for them.
    if they prosecute you, they are then effectively condoning/defending the attack against you.
    My thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post
    You really only have 3 options:

1) Carry while visiting the park.
    2) Don't carry while visiting the park and risk being a defenceless victim.
    3) Don't visit the park.

For me it only really hinges between options 1 and 3.
    +1

Go where you want to go with the capability of self-defence, or don't go at all.

If it comes down to it, rather have to explain yourself in court, than give a statement from a hospital bed.

Why is there an issue with EDC'ing on table mountain? I walk there relatively often and never had I had an issue. I am struggling to understand the problem here?

Another mugging on Table Mountain last night. What do authorities do? They wrong their hands and warn people to stay off the mountain. Seriously. More reason to carry on the mountain. Hopefully soon we'll read a story of a mugging gone wrong.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Another mugging on Table Mountain last night. What do authorities do? They wrong their hands and warn people to stay off the mountain. Seriously. More reason to carry on the mountain. Hopefully soon we'll read a story of a mugging gone wrong.
    +1

It is a logical fallacy. Muggings on the mountain: stay off the mountain!

Muggings in the street: stay off the streets!

Home invasions: stay out of your homes!

Look how easy it is, even I can do it. F*cking pathetic. CoCT needs to get their heads out of their asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post
    +1 It is a logical fallacy. Muggings on the mountain: stay off the mountain!Muggings in the street: stay off the streets!Home invasions: stay out of your homes!Look how easy it is, even I can do it. F*cking pathetic. CoCT needs to get their heads out of their asses.
    Maybe they should read this? http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/14/murder-rates-drop-as-concealed-carry-permits-soar-/

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Do you have a link please?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Do you have a link please?
    Mountain Safety@SafetyMountain 15h15 hours ago
    #alert Mugging on LionsHead last night at 7pm. Rangers warning people to stay off the mountain after dark @hikingcapetown @TableMntnWatch

Why is there an issue with EDC'ing on table mountain? I walk there relatively often and never had I had an issue. I am struggling to understand the problem here?
    I agree ... I often feel as if we have lost our ability to think for ourselves and act in our own best interest. We are sooooo scared that we will get into trouble for not even doing something wrong.

Unless you have intent of committing a crime AND the State is able to prove that, should they decide to take the legal process all the way, you have nothing to be concerned about.

Let's start thinking for ourselves again and be surprised at how liberating that can be.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GlenJ View Post
    Hi everyone. I'd like some input from those in the know (no uninformed opinions please...) on the recent popular topic of EDC in SANPARKS' Table Mountain National Park.

Note that I am not really referring to closed-off parks with controlled entry, game rangers and big wildlife wandering around.

I am specifically interested in the consequences of defending oneself against an armed assailant in areas managed by SANPARKS on Table Mountain and surrounds but that are not closed/fenced off and have no entry control or sometimes no official buildings/offices or staff nearby.

An area that comes to mind which I frequently visit is a bunch of jeep-tracks and trails used by joggers, dog-walkers and cyclists around the Vredehoek area (King's Blockhouse, Devil's Peak, Deerpark).

On those trails there are signs warning of 'high crime areas'.
    Sometimes there are signs (stating this is a SANPARKS area and that guns and other things are not allowed) at the entrance to the specific area, e.g. Deer Park.

But at other entrances (Halfway between Deer Park and King's Blockhouse, Vredehoek) there are no signs stating anything of the sort. In fact, from this particular access point to the mountain and it's trails it is possible for me to run 10km in either direction around the mountain and never encounter evidence that I am in SANPARKS managed areas.

Note also, for those who aren't familiar with the area. These entrances are not gates or anything of the sort between fences or barriers. They are just points where public roads from the suburbs terminate or where there is a gap in the suburban houses that have their backs to the mountain and access to the mountain can be gained on foot more easily that climbing over highway barriers or other peoples' walls.

Now, I don't believe anyone needs to be concerned about having their EDC in these areas discovered by an official. In 5 years of making weekly use of these areas I am yet to encounter an official.

However, what could be the likely outcome of using an EDC firearm for self-defense against an assailant in these areas?
    For instance, a friend of mine is concerned that they would be prosecuted for carrying a firearm in these areas after it was used to save their or others' lives.

I eagerly await your thoughts!

some information I've found on these forums which might be relevant:

http://faolex.fao.org/docs/pdf/saf73597.pdf

https://www.environment.gov.za/sites...ment_act57.pdf
    Ihave this very same question?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast