Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Surrendered, then in the face for R50

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. If you look around this forum, you will see that I have always held the view that both submission and resistance can result in either your survival or your death. There is no guaranteed outcome to either but both options represent a survival possibility in different circumstances. Sometimes your best odds will be to resist; other times your best odds will be to submit. The difficulty is you will not always know which is which and you will need to make your decision in a fraction of a moment. In the case in instance, had you known in advance that they definitely would kill you anyway even if you surrendered, then of course you would fight back. But the problem is you do not know in advance and faced with nine different men with AK-47s, you might think (especially if you are not armed!) that your best odds might be in submitting. As I say without any guaranteed outcome…

This is really the Devil's alternative.

What really disturbs me is this killing for the sake of killing. There was absolutely no need for the act in question.
    I do agree with you. And its easy to say what one should do now in hindsight knowing what the odd's actually where.

User

Default Re: Surrendered, then in the face for R50

Maybe, maybe not. If you look around this forum, you will see that I have always held the view that both submission and resistance can result in either your survival or your death. There is no guaranteed outcome to either but both options represent a survival possibility in different circumstances. Sometimes your best odds will be to resist; other times your best odds will be to submit. The difficulty is you will not always know which is which and you will need to make your decision in a fraction of a moment. In the case in instance, had you known in advance that they definitely would kill you anyway even if you surrendered, then of course you would fight back. But the problem is you do not know in advance and faced with nine different men with AK-47s, you might think (especially if you are not armed!) that your best odds might be in submitting. As I say without any guaranteed outcome…

This is really the Devil's alternative.

What really disturbs me is this killing for the sake of killing. There was absolutely no need for the act in question.
    That's a good post.

I'm also thinking that if you are a crack shot, your chances are greatly improved. The way that cop turned and dropped that robber with a snap headshot type of crack shot. These guys are not bulletproof ... drop a couple and suddenly that particular point is driven home. That said, my shooting sucks balls and I'd probably be better off trying to club them in the head with my gun

Yes, but on the other hand I do not like the odds against nine guys each with an AK-47.
    100% agree with you. To clarify my comment a bit more: my perception is that people who have the 'we are powerless against the violence' mindset have given up. They will not seek training or arm themselves or actually do anything to enhance their chances of fighting back because they have already given up..

Surrender is not really an option for me personally but I do believe you have to judge each situation on its own and make your decisions

Default Re: Surrendered, then shot in the face for R50

Quote Originally Posted by Rudes View Post
    RIP to the victim!

This quote from Schuster does however pee me off no end: "We are powerless against the violence. We are only a small handful - we should now probably avoid supermarkets".

Huge mindset fail! You have lost even before you started with that kind of attitude.
    Perhaps he was being flippant.

The girl in the recent taxi incident in Rondebosch says she won't hail a cab again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3