Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Firearms in an estate

What are the legal implications regarding the inheritance of firearms?

Default Re: Firearms in an estate

why u in line to get some nice toys, mmm, do share as we (me) are always hungry for names and calibers ;)

User

No, I am actually getting my affairs (will) in order. My question relates to me leaving my toys to my wife and son. I don't want them to be in the dark as to what needs to be done when I go to the great hunting plains of my forefathers.

I have dedicated status for sport and hunting and a safefull of guns. Without them being dedicated, I can't see them getting licenses for most of the firearms.

Unfortunately inheriting a firearm does not realy go down well on an application. As far as I have it the person inhereting it must apply the normal way and motivate just like anybody else. I do not think this is what you want to hear but I am no expert in this field.

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    Unfortunately inheriting a firearm does not realy go down well on an application. As far as I have it the person inhereting it must apply the normal way and motivate just like anybody else. I do not think this is what you want to hear but I am no expert in this field.
    This is correct. Take them shooting and get them to aquire dedicated status.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

The on;y reasons for owning a gun in SA is 1 Private Defense. 2 Occasional sport Shooting, 3 Dedicated Sport Shooting, Occasional Hunting and Dedicated hunting. There is always the gentlemen from SAAACA and they own guns in themes as dedicated collectors. Non dedicated guys are limited to 4 guns and dedicated guys to as many as they can get by Jaco Botma.

If you are feeling a case of death coming up try and appoint a guy to do your will that has at least some knowledge of guns. Beware that Standard bank will just take all you guns and give it to the police to dispose of. My advise will be to get the beneficiaries or at least one of them dedicated.

User

My advise will be to get the beneficiaries or at least one of them dedicated.
    I hear you, but is there any age restriction on acquiring dedicated status?

I am thinking of getting another handgun especially for my son to start shooting IPSC since he showed his worth at our last club shoot.

My son is currently aged 16 and has IPSC Dedicated Status. Before we moved to PE he only did IDPA and got dedicated status at age 15. I am using this dedicated status to obtain additional firearms in my name. I have not approuched the issue to get a firarm on his name from the point of being Dedicated Sport Shooter but the plan is to do this and first get him the Competency Certificate but as they say...Rome was not built in one day...

User

Thanks for the heads-up.
    My son(13) has been shooting with me for the past 3 years at our local club. First with the airrifle and .22.

We have "standard" exercises for older and less active handgun shooters - no time limits, which he shot this year.

Shooters shoot at IPSC targets at different distances. The standards are also for the guys with wheel guns. A 20 round+ COF means too many reloads!! This is just to have them participate and there is a trophy for the best "standard shot" at our annual prizegiving. We cater for all firearm types on club days - rifle (CHASA Table), clays and IPSC COF's (handgun and shotgun). Unfortunately no 3-gun. Too few members with right equipment.

He started the IPSC COF's late this year. I'm not sure he is ready to start shooting at NWPSA league shoots. Too much pressure. He shot at 10 club shoots this year and will need to shoot at least one league shoot to be considered for dedicated status.

Will hammer on safety and handling drills to get him ready. Fortunately he is eager to learn.

My son also started shooting actively from about 14 and as long as they are eager, remain safe and get the correct guideance....it is just a pleassure. As a matter of fact I got my assed whipped by him on Saturday. He shot one of his best Monthly Medal shoots and got 62.85% score and I had one of my less better day's and only achieved 57.39% and thus got a beating.....and I had to endure the mockery afterwards which I did with a smile.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast