Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21
    User

Default Re: Big Bore building project: Building a .500 Jeffery on a Mod 98 Mauser action.

Members, I am extremely glad to announce that I handed the wax casts today in at Vest Cast and David received it from me and will be commencing the casting process shortly...Now it is official:
    Phase Two:
    Casting the wax casts in steel....
    I asked David to take photos so I can upload the process here as well...

User

Default Re: Big Bore building project: Building a .500 Jeffery on a Mod 98 Mauser action.

Update:
    Here are some photos of the casting process David commenced with yesterday. I like it when a plan comes together...
    Wax casts on the tree:

The first layer of prime coat on :

Will upload more photos as the process moves on...

User

Uiteindelik Gert! Man I've been waiting to see how this project of yours pans out! Holding thumbs for success!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    Uiteindelik Gert! Man I've been waiting to see how this project of yours pans out! Holding thumbs for success!
    Maroelas, you are not the only one..I have struggled the past two years to get this project to move forward...

I was extremely fortunate to get hold of a knowledgeable person regarding silicon casting and 3D printing.....man , I am looking forward to hold the first casts in my hands...there are so many possibilities with this project...even a totally new/modified/manicured type of Mauser 98 /RSA action system is on the cards....my intention is to even cast a traditional type of claw mounts complete with scope rings in a Lynx version of the scope ring adjustments,,,...

User

Update: Here is another photo of the casts with the first three ceramic coat layers on..according to David there still needs to be another four layers put onto the mold...

User

Update: Members, this project needs to be standing over for next year..I experienced difficulties with the casting of the five bottom metals..it seems somewhere along the line the wrong dimensions and file was used to print the 3D prints that was used for the wax castings , so the metal castings were wrong..I will visit a friend who assist me with the wax castings and ask him to assist me to draw a new 3 D printing file from a Square bridge Mauser Magnum action so we can get all the specs correct, do ten wax castings and get these castings cast at Vest Cast again..but the actual casting will take place end of February next year. I am going to start building my 8X68s Mauser rifle on a classic style ...until next year ..

User

Update:
    Members, I took a 404 Jeffery bottom metal/trigger guard to a friend of mine today. It is the same person who did the wax cast on the previous cast exercise for me ..this time my friend will commence with a drawing from the start...3D print the drawing, wax cast the drawing and then I will take it to Vest Cast for steel casting..it is fortunate that it seems I do not to wait for next year to make progress with this building project....

It seems the first exercise was not a total lost at the end..we noticed a few pointers on the previous cast items that have been wrong measurements...so at least we learned from the first cast...I will upload photos of the process as progress is been made..

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21