Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Big Bore building project: Building a .500 Jeffery on a Mod 98 Mauser action.

Update:
    I will be turning my attention to mold making this week. I need to commence making a mold of the 3D prints I have of the magnum magazine box and trigger guard. So I will be commencing with phase two.

User

Default Re: Big Bore building project: Building a .500 Jeffery on a Mod 98 Mauser action.

Update:(cell phone photos , I left my camera at home)
    I have just returned from a visit at my good friend`s workshop in Kayalami . We really were treated with excellent food, Ian produced himself , five different types of cheeses , herbs he grows himself , Salami he made himself.

We even have baked chicken in a Pizza oven the Saturday evening with vegetables...

This morning we had a great breakfast as well:

Yes, we did some work as well naturally:

Ian assisted me in working out the prosedures to cast the trigger guard/magnum magazine box while using silicon from the standard silicon tubes.
    Putting the silicon in a bowl with hot water and Sunlight liquid soap makes the silicon malleable , enabling me to press it into the mold without it being sticky...

I am using his casting method but will cast the 3D prints in four stages since it is according to Ian Mills a difficult process we did the past weekend.
    This is the completed silicon mold , we did cast wax in the mold...we made two mistakes..not adding a vent hole and not making this a four stages mold...these mistakes I will rectify

...I now know what to do so I will be commencing to make a complete new silicon mold of the 3D print and cast the wax item...Ian suggested I rather cast the first cast as a polyurethane cast to work down as a example to use for casting a silicon mold that will be use as the final mold to cast the wax item.
    I will commence by casting the magnum magazine box ....

Ian said it would be easier to commenced with something easier but I pointed out the more difficult the better learning curve.

I received a few laser cut knife blades from Ian as well , I really am great full for this.

User

Update:
    I am currently busy cutting/building a melamine press wood box with all it`s parts to use as a casting container to cast a mold of the 3D printed trigger guard/bottom metal and magnum magazine box.

I did request a quotation regarding a 5 kg silicon composite mix . These quotations so far indicates the cost of a 5 kg silicon composite mix to be R1500 . I am looking for better prices on silicon composite at this stage.

Yes, a bit expensive, but maybe I will get this product at a better price..

User

Good day to all members. I will be commencing shortly with part two of this project. I now have a total new idea /procedure to get the bottom metal/trigger guard/ magazine box cast in steel. I will be giving more detail soon...thank you for following this thread..I will be giving away a cast set up, bottom metal/trigger guard/magazine box to a member when phase two is completed..

User

Update:
    It seems at last I am making progress in regards to this project. I am fortunate to get four blocks of casting wax from David at Vest Cast lost wax casting company. My approach to the second stage where I have to get a cast replica of the bottom metal/trigger guard and bottom part of the Mauser action consists of carving a replica from the wax block, take it to David at Vest Cast to enable him to cast it in steel.
    I am positive that this method will work. Will keep members up to date..

User

Update:
    Members, it seems this project is going to continue with phase two soon...I am so fortunate to be able to get the file printed in a 3D item again and then a silicon injection mold is the next step that will ensure I complete this project. I will be sending the files this week to a friend who will be able to do all this .

User

Happiness all around... Here are the first photos of the 3D prints my friend is doing for me..the next step is to make a silicon injection mold to be able to cast a lot of wax prints so I can take it to Vets Cast and cast it in steel..now I am moving forward to complete this project..I really am delighted ... I am building a two burner forge for this friend of mine just to show my appreciation for him assisting me to complete my .500 Jeffery project by doing this for me...

User

Members, I am getting the wax casts of the trigger guard and bottom metal with the magazine box this weekend ..I will take it to Vest Cast as soon as they open their doors next week for them to cast these items in steel...

User

Members, here are the first five wax cast magnum bottom metal/trigger guards ;
    The quality of this work is exceptional high...
    The item on the right is the wax cast bottom metal/trigger guard .

User

I am sending an email to David at Vest Cast for an appointment to give him the wax casts so I can progress to the third phase..building the actual .500 Jeffery rifle..Part of the 3D printing exercises are the 1/4 rib 3D print, the v-express sights and the front sights with a "moon" part as well..I will be designing these items shortly, some photos of what I did previously..

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 LastLast