Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Big Bore building project: Building a .500 Jeffery on a Mod 98 Mauser action.

Update:
    The following procedures is in progress:
    Willie is currently drawing a CAD drawing of a mold that we will take to another person/family member to cnc it out of a block of aluminium , this will enable us to cast as many bottom metal/trigger guards as we want for the next five hundred years..

A second procedures is up and running as well:
    We are getting samples of wax filament to see if it works in Ivan`s 3D printer..we can then print these bottom metals and take it to Vest cast to hang them on a tree and cast them as well.... maybe a duplication of a process, but I like to have a plan A, B, C and D... We can then print anything we like and get it cast by Vest Cast....this is my reason for Plan B....

User

Default Re: Big Bore building project: Building a .500 Jeffery on a Mod 98 Mauser action.

The aluminium mold/tool will look similar to the example I took a photo of at Vest Cast..it is an injection mold, able to produce countless casts ...

Gert, please help me understand the process:

1) 3D print a "soft" version of the required item.
    2) Vestcast make an aluminium mould for this item (i.e. it is a "negative").
    3)Use aluminium mould to cast wax former.s
    4) Use each wax former to make a single refractory (can only use once) mould.
    5) Cast steel into this refractory mould.
    6) Machine case steel item to final tolerances.

But if you can print with wax filament, then you can skip steps 2&3?

If I understand this correctly - it really is quite a drawn out process!

All the best!
    Sweet

User

Good day Sweet
    The only reason we can not use the 3D printed bottom metal/trigger guard is that the 3D print filament, PLA will brake the Vest Cast molds.

This is why it seems to be a long drawn out process.

We will make a aluminium mold, cut on a cnc machine to give to Vest Cast that will enable them to cast wax injected molds of the 3D printed items...

The only reason I want to be able to print 3 D Wax prints is that we then are able to print any item , take it to Vest Cast so they can cast the items for us in steel.

In the meantime a friend and I is working on a procedure to cast steel by means of Termite. We will finalise this process in the near future...this will enable me to cast my own mild steel items the exact same way Vest Cast is doing it. I will then be able to do my own lost wax casting....

User

Update:

Members, I managed to get a person who will be able to convert the CAD drawings file into a negative and positive conversion to a mold file . This will enable the person with the cnc machine to mill a mold we can use to make an injection mold where from we can make as many wax molds as we like and let it be cast in steel via lost wax casting...on the side line I am building a silicon mold to do a wax cast that can be use to make lost wax casting steel magnum bottom /trigger guard casts....will keep you all ap to date...

User

Update:
    Members, I am all the while busy contemplating methods to cast the magnum bottom metal/trigger guard. There are currently different efforts /procedures taking place to achieve this endeavour. It is an arduous process but I am positive I will get this journey completed....it will take time...

User

Update:
    Members, I managed to get assistance of a person who is extremely knowledgeable regarding the making of silicon molds..this person will assist me in building a silicon mold...I then can take this mold and make wax casting for Vest Cast to cast steel bottom metal/trigger guards....I then can move to phase three...building the .500 Jeffery....

User

Any update on this project Gert???

User

Von Gruff I am in the process to acquire silicon compound to make a silicon mold. This is something I need to learn to do, since I will be casting aluminium and brass. If I manage to make a silicon mold for the trigger guard/bottom metal I can cast my own wax cast , take it to Vest Cast to do the steel cast.

Currently I am focusing on completing my knife belt sanding machine , I did some lathe turning on the aluminium tensioner wheel , busy fitting the two bearings and shaft..will complete it on Monday. If the knife blade sanding machine is completed I will focus all my efforts on getting on with this big bore building project. As pointed out previously, this is not a project with a time frame /limit

User

Update:
    Members, I will be commencing with
    phase two regarding the silicon mold build to cast a wax trigger guard/magazine box ect. I did manage to get silicon from the AMT silicon company that will work perfectly for the type of silicon molds I need to make. This will be fun to commence with the second phase....

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast