Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Big Bore building project: Building a .500 Jeffery on a Mod 98 Mauser action.

Thank you Peter, it really will be appreciated. Members , as usual I need to thank you kindly for participating in this thread...it really is great to have members following a thread where everybody can learn from everyone. This will be a learning curve for me as well...a lot of reading time is awaiting me.

I am currently communicating with various persons on the web regarding their experiences in building a .500 Jeffery...the feeding issue is discuss as well.

Photos of the Walnut stock I have, it is really solid and heavy..but will work as a working rifle..I will make sure to cut the stock in such a way that I get the best grain appearances...the straight grain will make for a very strong rifle stock through the pistol grip..horizontal grain= strong wood..

User

Default Re: Big Bore building project: Building a .500 Jeffery on a Mod 98 Mauser action.

I'm looking forward to this thread, good luck Gert.

User

Quote Originally Posted by dsmerrills View Post
    Can't wait for this one, if it's anything like the 375H&H build it's going to be epic!

Gert quick one, I can't remember if you actually finished the 375H&H build as in the last final touches because I'm sure you mentioned there was one or two things you wanted to change?
    dsmerrills
    The .375 H&H Magnum still needs to be blued, checkered and a final layer of Tru-oil then she will be blooded...I am still looking for a Scout scope for this rifle..the 1.5-5x20 Leupold is not working good enough as a scout scope...I will use the Leopold on my 404 Jeffery. But I can still shoot my .375 H&H Magnum with the express sights...I already zeroed the fifty meters flip up distance indicator, the 100 meter one as well it really groups well ....the .500 Jeffery will sport a ghost ring /Blenheim sight system...since it is already drilled and tapped I will make use of quick detachable scope rings and bases...for the aging eyesight ....shooting BASA is difficult without a scope....aging is not for sussies... aging eyes keep reminding me when I could still see a fly on a horse`s backside ...

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    The one thing that concerns me about some of these is the way in which the feed ramp ends up being altered to such an extend to feed the wider bullet that it sometimes significantly weakons the lower locking lug on a 98.
    FNBROWNING
    It the one most important concept Johan Greyling pointed out and always reminded me about...you do not remove material from the feeding ramp..that is the last resort and then you only polish the ramp and effect change to the angle of the feeding ramp...if you need to remove any material on the feeding ramp it really is not more than a one to two millimeter layer.....that is why I am a firm believer of opening up the action to the back side of the action, I will remove the right side of the stripper clip opening up to the ejector box....the magazine well needs to be longer and a solid 2mm steel plate will be used to handle the recoil effect in front of the bullet`s face in the magazine well. I will make use of a drop out magazine box, accommodating three .500 Jeffery rounds...The bottom metal will be milled from a solid steel bar and recessed to fit the third round at the bottom of the magazine bottom plate.

The most important feature will be the extra recoil lug embedded and screwed to the stock...the extra recoil lug will be bedded into the bedding( full bedding) it will look like a steel matrix that will keep the barrel action secure . A second recoil lug is needed to ensure no movement between the stock and barreled action, thus minimizing cracking due to heavy recoil of this caliber..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rudib View Post
    You need a true magnum action for a 505 Gibbs. The 500 Jeff can be built on a Mauser 98 action. If one can get it to feed 100% (like my 450 Rigby) it's a great stopper. If it feeds 99% it's the perfect decoration or range gun.
    Rudib
    You hit the nail on the head, since there was a lot of Mauser 98 actions in Germany and the Rigby company had a monopoly on the magnum actions Augus Shuler designed the .500 Jeffery with a rebated rim to fit into the bolt face and in the standard Mauser action with some small changes effected to the magazine well and the feeding rails/feeding ramp..the most important issue being to fit in a standard Mauser action.... ....here is a link to info about the .500 Jeffery...

http://www.norma-usa.com/index.php/p...th-500-jeffery

http://www.realguns.com/archives/156.htm

Another link about the .505 Gibbs:
    http://www.norma.cc/sv/Ammunitionssk...ik/.505-gibbs/

User

I have been busy reading up on the different shoulder angles the .500 Jeffery have.

In the book African Dangerous Game Cartridges, Pierre van der Walt point out that the metric Schuler version has a 23.54"degree shoulder, while the British imperial cartridge have a 12.63" degree shoulder...then the A-square manufacturing ammunition has a 25" degree angle shoulder....

Another gunsmith Wolfgang Romey manufactured a 19.97'degree angle hybrid shoulder version. While Harald Wolf introduced a non rebated rim version called the .500 Jeffery improved....If ever there was a confusion about a cartridge the .500 Jeffery surely is way ahead...this will have an impact on the reamers you need to purchase and the barrel you need to chamber....since it will be a barrel purchase from Lothar Walther company it seems fair to get the required info in this regards from them. To ensure the barrel they sell will math with re-loading dies for the intended .500 Jeffery build.

Brass will be ordered from Stewart bullets, Hansie Minnaar is the current owner of the business. His contact details if anyone wants to contact him regarding orders for bullets and brass, specifically scares /rare calibers.

Hansie Minnaar. Stewart custom bullets.
    082 627 5011
    minnaarajj@vodamail.co.za

I am currently focusing on the theoretical part of changes to the bottom metal of the Mod 98 action to see if I can make use of a drop out magazine box that will accommodate three .500 Jeffery rounds and still be able to re-load from the top like any normal Mauser is reloaded.

The current magazine box we are working on can only be re-loaded when the magazine box is removed to be reloaded.The advantage of this option is that with a small change to the magazine fitting you will be able to load four .500 Jeffery rounds in this drop out extended magazine...( but I think three .500 Jeffery rounds is more than efficient for any dangerous game animal that wants to settle a score with you.)

Going the route I think is best for this build will require me to substitute the current bottom metal/trigger guard. This project will require an extensive degree of milling work ...I will have to mill a new bottom metal magazine plate that will hinge from the trigger guard.

A complete drop out magazine needs to be build from scratch using spring steel of 1.6 mm and the back/front plate need to be made of 2 mm spring steel plate to absorb the recoil in the magazine where the rounds will be thrashing forward and rearwards...

The top of the magazine will sport two wings that will keep the .500 Jeffery rounds from floating upwards or jump out of the magazine box. This is the reason why the magazine box needs to be manufacturing from spring metal to ensure tension in the two top clips...it will work on the same principle as the .425 Westley Richards rifle had worked.

There is another option as well but I prefer the first option as described above. But I will look at a second option if time permits.

User

Sounds like this will be a complicated build...
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Sounds like this will be a complicated build...
    My Lani, I think it is an under statement...

User

Hi Gert. I was just wondering whether you are going to use the round Walther 12.7x70/.500 Jeffery barrel or perhaps a more "traditional" Octagon barrel with full length rib which would really look great but obviously be more expensive?

User

Good day Brian, at this stage I am working on the concept of making the .500 Jeffery rounds feed well. The first part of this build will consist of theoretical info underscoring the technical aspects to enable me to create a feeding system that will make this rifle a big bore hunting object that can cycle under stress fire...any caliber can shoot and cycle if you hunt plains game...when it gets to shooting fast and cycling the bolt extremely fast it is then when feeding problems exhibit themselves.
    I already send an e-mail to Lothar Walther company today requesting info on the chamber specifications regarding the different shoulder angles.

I will eventually come to the stage where I will be ordering a barrel...at this stage the technical difficulties is priority...

Gert

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast