Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Choosing the association that best suits your needs.

These days it has become almost a prerequisite to be a member of some sort of association due to the FCA and the need for endorsements. So choosing the correct association has become very important both for yourself and for the association you are a member of.

You need to make sure that the association matches your needs and that you don’t abuse the association’s rules and regulations. I speak of this specifically so that people don’t abuse the system so to speak, especially with regards to MSR’s and other semi autos.

So you want a semi auto but you don’t have the time to join a sport like SADPA, IPSC or 3 gun. Hope is not lost, there are associations like SAHUNT and NSA. But this doesn’t mean that you must pull the dam out from underneath the duck here and license as many of them as you can if you join SAHUNT or NSA.

SAHUNT and NSA caters for the following calibres .22 and all other centre fire cartridges. So you can justifiably license one .22 SLR in the rim-fire division, and a MSR in either of 5.56 or .308 calibre for the centre fire division (maybe you can justify having one in each calibre here). After this I don’t see how you can justify/motivate that you need more than the previously mentioned rifles for use if you are only a member of either SAHUNT or NSA? They also allow you to license a semi auto shotgun for use in their division. There is one division for this so licensing multiple semi auto shotguns through that is abusing the system.

Guys please don’t go and join only NSA as a member and license 10 MSR’s to shoot the same exercise in the one division that NSA has, this is not right. You are making it difficult foreveryone else who have legitimate motivations to have multiple MSR’s. Yes you are doing it legally but with all things in life doing it in moderation proves to go further rather than doing it as quickly as possible.

Frankly speaking this is why we are seeing the resent state of refusals and this is due to guys joining associations and going ape shit and licensing as many of certain firearms as they can, just because they want lots and have the money. This unfortunately doesn’t do the other associations any good and swings them into the spotlight.

We have the FCA and we have to work with it and working “around” it forces them to make the rules tighter and tighter. Seriously if you want multiple MSR’s join an association like SADPA or IPSC where you can motivate the use of each of them in different categories.

If you don’t have the time to join SADPA or IPSC be a big boy deal with it and face it that you can’t always get what you want. I can understand why guys from associations like SADPA and IPSC get upset with members from other associations by abusing your so called rights you are making it difficult for them who really make a sport out of it and can legitimately motivate the use.

This basically goes across the board for handguns, hunting rifles, shotguns, carbines and MSR. If you want multiple in each category you need to make sure you join the right associations so you can motivate and justify the use.

Having multiple hunting rifles make sure you are a dedicated hunter. Having many hunting rifles tells me that you like hunting, so take the plunge become a dedicated hunter or do a professional hunters course. Multiple shotguns join a wing shooting or clay pigeon association.

If you want multiple firearms don’t go and join a collectors association and make your
    theme semi-auto handguns and semiauto rifles. It will immediately raise some red flags. Do it correctly and build your collection gradually show interest in collecting and the history of said firearms.

Nothing stops you from having multiple association memberships as well, because you can fall back on certain associations. Being a member of SADPA or IPSC and NSA allows you to fall back on DSS through NSA if you didn’t manage to keep your DSS through SADPA or IPSC for whatever reason.

Bottom line, there is an association out there to suite everyone’s need don’t join one and license multiple firearms in a division they don’t really cater for. Use your rifles for what you motivated them for don’t let them gather dust in your safes because you are an impulsive buyer. I make sure to use my firearms all of them even if it’s just once throughout the year to maintain my DSS.

I know I said some things here that have angered a couple of people but I believe if it carries on like this it will only become more and more difficult to license certain firearms.

Lastly I forgot to mention supporting those associations that fight for our rights as firearm owners. And make sure that your association also brings there part when it comes to the FCA, hold them accountable.

This is purely my opinion not law, just some advise.

Peace out.

User

Subscribe.

Default Re: Choosing the association that best suits your needs.

Well said

User

Sound like someone has the same bee in his bonnet as myself.

User

While I agree with your sentiments, Black-ops, I do not agree with the FCA. It is an unworkable piece of legislation. We, as gun owners, should not fight to make it work. Screw that. We should fight to have it scrapped.

Find me competent to own a firearm by whatever means. Once you have done so, mister state official, the number and type of guns I own (as long as it falls within my competency) has got nothing to do with the government or the ruling party.

User

I see what you are saying and disagree with you entirely.

A 20" AR15 rifle with a rifle buffer and stock will perform differently to a 7.5" AR15 with a pistol gas tube, carbine receiver extension and carbine stock.

A Type 101 in 5.56mm will perform differently again.

An Aug will perform differently.

An LM4 will perform differently.

A 9mm BXP will perform differently.

A Barrett M82a1 will perform differently.

Saying you have one, and that is enough, is wrong and as bad as they are doing at CFR right now.

This is a discussion we must now have.

Edit:

Refer to

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...-Confederation

"With specific reference to the raft of proposed amendments to the FCA that are about to be foist upon us, it seems that Dedicated Sports Shooters are going to carry a large part of the burden... and collectors less of the burden.

Instead of going straight to the divisive "the collectors must colluded" device, I discovered that there is a crucial difference between how collectors organisation are structured and how they award collectors status, and how the sport-shooting organisations operate. The collectors (all 8 organisations) arrange themselves under a single banner and have a unified standard for awarding collectors status. We, sport-shooting organisations, on the other hand, each do our own thing and resist recognising each other's status even.

This is silly. We are dividing ourselves and making an attack on each or all of us so much easier.

We will create a single Dedicated Sport Shooting standard across all the Accredited Associations which will allow us to address the Governments concerns about DSS, and will make it possible to recognise ALL dedicated activities across all the flavours of sport-shooting. Someone who is SADPA accredited will be able to get recognition for doing a Pin Shoot, or a training course which attests to his or her dedication as a sport-shooter.

With this, specifically, in mind, Gunowners SA is convening a meeting of representatives from accredited associations at the clubhouse at Magnum Shooting Range in Pretoria to discuss the creation of this United Sport-shooting Confederation. It is envisaged that each accredited sport-shooting association will have one voting representative. GOSA (as convenor) will provide a Chair."

User

A SPAS 12 semiautomatic is differe to a Benelli M3, which will perform differently to a Saiga 12, which performs differently to a Versamax, which will perform differently to the Beretta Extrema and differently from the Rem 1100.

How do you justify saying one is enough? There can even be, like my AR15 example differences in barrel lengths. Will a 28" Versamax with a choke perform the same as a SPAS12 with an 18" cylinder bore barrel? Both will have different applications.

Arguing that X number is "enough" and now you dont need any more is fighting the Anti's fight for them. I don't know what shooting you do but if you hunt you can hunt anything with a .375H&H. You don't need anything else so why not mandate all other guns are illegal?

Next you'll suggest only certain guns are worthy. Every sports shooter only needs a Glock 17, AR15 and a Versamax. All others are "too much" and there is no need for them.

I'll agree you need to be able to justify why an AR15 10.5" is better than the 11.5" you bought yesterday, but if you can you are not abusing any system.

User

MTTSS: What you intend to do here is the best news of this weekend, including the Boks' win. We must indeed stop being out own worst enemy. Gratitude and strongs for all of you.

User

There are many things we should be allowed to do without question. Owning guns is one of them.

However, in the real world we deal with the FCA and CFR. People who dont know the difference between aarbeie and aambeie.

I feel the way dediction is measured in DSS/DHS should be looked at.

The only way I can see that being quantified is Time and Money spent shooting.

I dont think it has to be a "sport" per say but time and money spent. Example, a person might not be a sportshooter but he shoots regularly, spending time and money on clubmemberships etc. The same would apply for people spending time and money as managing members of various shooting related clubs/organisations/forums etc. They might not shoot a lot but it eats a lot of time.

Call it any way you like but there are guys abusing the system and putting pressure on guys who are truly dedicated to the sport.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast