User

Default Diamond Marquis for a Beginner?

Hi Gents

Let me start by saying I know absolutely nothing about bows

Right now that that is out the way, I have done an archery class and loved it and now want to get the kit to practice at home

I have found a Diamond marquis with the following

"Allan"? Arrow rest
    Stabiliser
    Sight - Cobra
    Peep sight

The package is 5700

Is this a good bad terrible price? Reviews online seem to indicate its a great bow but we can believe the internet

Thanks in advance :)

User

Default Re: Diamond Marquis for a Beginner?

Hi Longranger,

Its a 2008 technology, so although not the "latest and greatest" it will serve you well until if it was looked after and you look after it. Its not the fastest bow around, but do not be one of those people who chase speed. You can shoot your guns for that.

I will once again give the advice to all new bowhunters / shooters buying a secondhand bow:
    - Make sure that the limbs are in perfect condition (the symptoms of dry firing are small cracks in the limbs with some flaking of the paint)
    - You can always see how a person looked after his bow by looking at the string. If it is waxed decently (not dry and brittle) you have some idea that the previous owner paid some attention to his equipment
    - Have yourself measured (fingertip to fingertip arms spread agains a wall) - this will see if you actually "fit" the bow. Max drawlenght on this baby is 30" and its no use you draw 31".... I Have seen people buy bows to small and to large for them. It could lead to some "accidents"
    - Here is a short do not do video with a few tips as well -
    - If you got arrows with the deal check them out by flexing the arrow. If you hear a rasping sounds - toss them. If the previous owners' draw length was shorter than your - TOSS them and do not attempt to shoot them. If your draw is longer that the previous guys' one, the arrow that you then use is cut to his length and when drawing it falls off the arrow rest and then you get an arrow through your hand when you let down.
    - Practice and pay attention to the more experienced shooters
    - Never let anybody shoot your bow (I never did) its set up for you, you know what it is you cannot and can do. They don't. They will get hurt
    - Do not start at the max poundage of the bow, "because I can draw 70#". Start low, learn the basics and work your way up to your comfortable draw weight and the draw weight you will be using for what ever purpose you will be using it in. Shooting a comp where you shoot 200 odd arrows at 70# is well, just plain stupid as it become tiring and this affects your accuracy.

On the accessories:
    - Allan arrow rest is the (Let me put this diplomatically) cheaper range. Not saying there is any issue with it however. Start with it, but once you have identified what you prefer you WILL upgrade. there are different arrow rests available (biscuit / drop away / retention ) with the different brands. Start with the Allen until you know what you want to replace it with. (I had a Vapour trail drop away)
    - Stabiliser - lots of brands out there and once you know what type of discipline you want to shoot you will know what type to get. Hunting with a long stabilizer is close to impossible. Shorter "stabs" are more practical. But if its only a range bow, you can go big - ie read long.
    - Cobra sights are good - but once again it depends what your application is. How many Pins? 3/5/7 or the 1 pin job where you set the distance? ( I had a 7 pin Spott Hog on mine for varying distances.
    - Peep sight. Critical in your setup as this is basically the "back sight / rear sight" in your setup. When setup correctly you should have a clear line of sight through it to your sight (front). Some guys like smaller, and some bigger - it will be down to personal preference. Make sure it does not twist
    - Invest in a decent release. Look at a few options out there. I shot with a mechanical release, and was not very fond of the tension release. ( I shot with a Scott Little Goose with the rigid bar to the calliper)

The great thing is that accessories are replaceable, upgradeable to suit your needs , budget and requirements.

Its a wonderful past time, but kiss some of your shooting budget goodbye... Yes you can retrieve your ammo, but you will break a few arrows here and there, shoot Robinhoods (2 arrows in one go moertoe if you are unlucky - the 1st one is awesome, after that it becomes irritating. Fletches and field points are damaged every time you shoot, and these will need fixing / replacing on a regular basis.

Have fun, enjoy it and be safe.

Banned

With "Diamond Marquis" in your heading I thought you were getting engaged and wanted advice on real diamonds.

User

Price sounds quite steep.

Checkout bowhuntingforum.co.za and anchorpoint.co.za for some good advice and used deals.

User

That is the best, most detailed reply I have ever received. Thank you so much for taking the time, I have read it carefully and will consider all your pointers!

The bow however is new, does that make the price more reasonable? but will consider all the pointers on second hand if I go that route, would actually prefer it as I'm sure there are lots of hardly used bows out there

Ah bowhunter I was hoping for a reply from you, will check out those sites for sure thank you!

User

Shop around, I'm 99% sure the Marquis isn't even made anymore. It came out in 2008 or 2009 so it must either be REALLY old stock or not really new...

Call PE Bow Shop and speak to Dirk van Zyl on 079 517 1367 for some options. He is very helpful and knowledgeable.

User

Im pretty sure you're correct and it is old stock, something that was aquired in a buy out or something.

Will do and will join those sights too thanks a million :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by longranger View Post
    That is the best, most detailed reply I have ever received. Thank you so much for taking the time, I have read it carefully and will consider all your pointers!

The bow however is new, does that make the price more reasonable? but will consider all the pointers on second hand if I go that route, would actually prefer it as I'm sure there are lots of hardly used bows out there

Ah bowhunter I was hoping for a reply from you, will check out those sites for sure thank you!
    Pleasure.

I am perhaps out of touch on the pricing...
    If its an older bow, in a box, never used before - pay special attention to the string. I am guessing its' NEVER seen any wax (if the claim of new is to be taken). I would get a price on what a new string costs and ask for that amount as a price reduction at least. Peace of mind..

Cape Town funnily enough does not have any bow shops (? - after S & O I heard closed their bow section a while ago). Perhaps give Archers' Edge in Pta a call as well?