Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Exclamation So I'm applying for SAPS next year and eventually the STF, but....glasses

So I have officially decided to apply for SAPS next year and then make my way to trying out for the Special Task Force.
    I understand that their standards are very high and they need prospective members to have certain qualities. That's where a problem for me comes in, with my glasses/eyesight. Does anyone here know if they allow members to wear glasses/prescription goggles? Unfortunately that's one of my shortcomings, glasses for shortsightedness. Is eye-wear a disqualifying factor? Is a certain level of unaided vision necessary? Does anyone know, or can anyone find out for me?

Thank for all your help guys!

Dave

User

Default Re: So I'm applying for SAPS next year and eventually the STF, but....glasses

(My eyesight is 20/20 corrected*)

User

Default Re: So I'm applying for SAPS next year and eventually the STF, but....glasses

Go see an ophthalmologist to determine if Lasik eye surgery is a suitable solution. Should set you back approximately R20k.

I had it done at 21 and it changed my life.

Slight night blindness is a side effect though. I manage it by wearing yellow lensed glasses.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Go see an ophthalmologist to determine if Lasik eye surgery is a suitable solution. Should set you back approximately R20k.

Slight night blindness is a side effect though. I manage it by wearing yellow lensed glasses.
    Thanks for the reply man! I thought of that. Or maybe a lens implant like visianICL. LASIK has risks though, such as poor night vision which you mentioned. And all STF members are trained divers and para-bats and a lot of their work is at night, so I don't think LASIK would be the best option as it can weaken the eye's ability to withstand pressure or something along those lines and night vision would be better with prescription glasses anyway. The STF all wear protective ballistic eye-wear, so I don't see why prescription ballistic eye-wear would be a problem...

Maybe someone who is an Ex-Taakie or knows currently serving Taakies will stumble upon this post.

Any info, thoughts or ideas welcome.

User

Eugene de Kock managed to serve in Koevoet with some seriously heavy duty specs, so it can be done, hopefully the rule book is in your favor. Good luck and Respect!

User

A forum members' son is with STF, will buzz him to get more info on this.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Eugene de Kock managed to serve in Koevoet with some seriously heavy duty specs, so it can be done, hopefully the rule book is in your favor. Good luck and Respect!
    Yeah, I will definitely invest in some good nylon ballistic specs. I hope the rule book is in my favor too.....Thanks a million man, much appreciated!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    A forum members' son is with STF, will buzz him to get more info on this.
    Shot! Thanks for the help

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post

Firstly, Hi and good luck.

Second, I also back the lasik surgery. I had it done a few years ago. I stand corrected but the price is less than 20k these days. Also depend how crap your eye sight is in the first place. Mine were horrible. Legally blind in my opinion. To the point where it was borderline whether they could perform the surgery or not due to the structural integrity of my eye. Both of them.

Anyway, yes the night vision is a bit kak, but you get used to it. Changed my life for the better.

Cheers!

User

Quote Originally Posted by drew3 View Post
    Firstly, Hi and good luck.

Second, I also back the lasik surgery. I had it done a few years ago. I stand corrected but the price is less than 20k these days. Also depend how crap your eye sight is in the first place. Mine were horrible. Legally blind in my opinion. To the point where it was borderline whether they could perform the surgery or not due to the structural integrity of my eye. Both of them.

Anyway, yes the night vision is a bit kak, but you get used to it. Changed my life for the better.

Cheers!
    Thanks man, much appreciated. My eyesight is not too bad... Ok, it is... -6 diopter in one eye and around -7 ˝ in the other. But corrected to 20/20 with specs. Don't know how that compares to your eyes pre-LASIK...? I can understand that it changed your life for the better, sucks having bad eyesight. But I refuse to let my bad luck with eyesight hold me back, especially in applying for the STF.

Thanks for your input.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast