Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: So I'm applying for SAPS next year and eventually the STF, but....glasses

Get into SAPS first.

Once there and If you go for selection then Polmed might cover the procedure. If you fall in love with some other branch then it might not be necessary.

Para-bats are military. Taskforce members are dive qualified and jump qualified. But never call a 'bat a policeman and never call n Taakie n Recce.

User

Default Re: So I'm applying for SAPS next year and eventually the STF, but....glasses

Quote Originally Posted by StefanM View Post
    Get into SAPS first.

Once there and If you go for selection then Polmed might cover the procedure. If you fall in love with some other branch then it might not be necessary.

Para-bats are military. Taskforce members are dive qualified and jump qualified. But never call a 'bat a policeman and never call n Taakie n Recce.
    That's an idea. Although I doubt I will fall in love with some other branch. Being a Taakie and getting my wings has been something I've always wanted to do.

Sorry my mistake. What I meant was Taakies are trained exactly like para-bats, they're even trained to conduct military operations.

User

Bump for more info/ideas

User

Maybe contact SAPS HR department also. See what they say

User

Quote Originally Posted by StefanM View Post
    Maybe contact SAPS HR department also. See what they say
    Yeah, that's a good idea. Will give it a shot! Thanks man

User

If he can wear contact lenses he should be okay. He's best advised to contact SAPS Recruitment who will also advise what the minimum criteria is to be considered for the Task Force.

Above is the reply from said person with son is STF. Seems Stefans advice is the most sound.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    If he can wear contact lenses he should be okay. He's best advised to contact SAPS Recruitment who will also advise what the minimum criteria is to be considered for the Task Force.

Above is the reply from said person with son is STF. Seems Stefans advice is the most sound.
    Thanks for getting back to me man, much appreciated. I can wear contacts, yes, not sure if they'd work well through selection though... All the dirt and swimming and shooting and pushups... I would think ballistic specs with a strap would be better, but if they accept contacts, hell yeah contacts all the way. But I'll give HR a ring and see what they have to say. Will let you guys know.

User

Ok, so I contacted HR and spoke to a very helpful Lieutenant. He had no direct Yes or No answer to Glasses/Contacts in the STF but he said it 'shouldn't' be a problem as long as I'm fit and mentally able. I was also in contact with a former STF member (17 years of service in the Unit) he also said that it 'shouldn't' be a problem. So I guess that settles that. Thanks for all the help guys! If any more info is discovered, please let me know!

It’s not like the past where night blindness was a major flaw of the lasik procedure. Lasiks these days are much more safer. I had lasik a few months back, and haven’t had any night blindness or astigmatism issues yet. My sis had lasik last year at the same clinic- See by Intravision, which is a lasik surgery center in Kitchener, and she too hasn’t had any issues yet. from what I know. most people who get lasik done these days are happy with the procedure.

Did you ask the Lieutenant about laser eye surgery? I’m planning to get into SAPS too.

User

Quote Originally Posted by gunlord View Post
    It’s not like the past where night blindness was a major flaw of the lasik procedure. Lasiks these days are much more safer. I had lasik a few months back, and haven’t had any night blindness or astigmatism issues yet. My sis had lasik last year at the same clinic- See by Intravision, which is a lasik surgery center in Kitchener, and she too hasn’t had any issues yet. from what I know. most people who get lasik done these days are happy with the procedure.

Did you ask the Lieutenant about laser eye surgery? I’m planning to get into SAPS too.

Hey gunlord,

I asked the Leuitenant if there were any vision requirements for the STF. He didn't give me a direct yes or no. I asked him twice. I also asked him about glasses/corrective surgery and the answer was the same.

I'm sure you'll be fine though. The STF do a lot of Parachuting and Diving, which may have negative effects on your eyes and eye pressure after LASIK. Ask your Surgeon.

But SAPS definitely allows glasses and corrected vision overall. Good luck with your application to SAPS. Let me known how it goes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast