Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Politics and politicians, what the hells the point?

As an exercise, just to see whether any of them actually give a toss, I sent this mail to the DA, Freedom Front, COPE and ANC on Thursday 18/02/2010

"To Whom it may concern

Having voted in every election municipal, national, provincial and referendum, I have never been a registered member of any political party.

I would like to know what the (party) stance is on firearm ownership, firearms control act, firearm amnesty etc

I am looking for the party that is going to represent me, in things that affect me directly."

To date, not one reply.

Cheers
    Mag

Banned

Did you consider that any political party is made up of politicians. That they have ambitions, strengths and weakness that can be used?

When you write it is as a single person who's opinion may well be noted but if it will not impact on the "party" in either a positive way or negative way, it can simply be ignored or fobbed off.

Now if some "number" had written that may well be different because it shows public interest and willingness to make it an "issue". What is the "number" for the DA I don't know, but every organisation or business that has to deal with the public has a breaking point to ignoring "issues".

If what you propose cannot influence the organisation win/lose votes or popularity they are not interested. Nor can you lie to them because they study demographics and know what public sentiment is.

That leaves us and you only one option. Make sure "enough" public sentiment is on your side by lobbying your fellow firearm owners to stop accepting the unacceptable and complain and even demonstrate if need be.

You have to use the system when appeals to decency, honour and respect fail, and they have failed.

You also have to be very very careful of a negotiated settlement because your opponent will use your weakness against you, lie and think nothing of your safety, well-being or even your life in order to get what they want.

BTW the DA have been asked on a number of occasions this same question and their answer is we want to make everyone happy. The voice of gun control is as loud if not louder and more consistent in our ear telling us that 60% of blacks support a complete ban on firearms and we would be fools to ignore that. I promise you the DA will not ignore it.

What have firearm owners and organisations put on the DA's plate? Why have firearm organisations ignored this very vital aspect of survival of firearm ownership?

These are questions that need answers but it is far better to simply start by complaining as you have done. Well done I salute you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mag View Post
    As an exercise, just to see whether any of them actually give a toss, I sent this mail to the DA, Freedom Front, COPE and ANC on Thursday 18/02/2010

"To Whom it may concern

Having voted in every election municipal, national, provincial and referendum, I have never been a registered member of any political party.

I would like to know what the (party) stance is on firearm ownership, firearms control act, firearm amnesty etc

I am looking for the party that is going to represent me, in things that affect me directly."

To date, not one reply.

Cheers
    Mag
    Magic letter and a good start, well done.

You are applying your set of rules and expectations to a POLITICAL PARTY who has only one ambition and objective - to win and govern to increase their power.

Now put yourself in the place of the political party. The first question they will ask is, what is in this for us?

Will firearm owners vote as a block?

Will supporting firearm ownership increase our chance of winning a municipal election, a regional election or national election?

Will firearm owners vote against us?

Can firearm owners punish us with adverse publicity if we ignore them?

There are more but I think you get the idea.

Organise firearm owners so they can make an impact and that starts with each one of us because nobody does what is not requested or wanted including ourselves. In fact we set the model and example that others will react to because we are the public they depend on.

What example are we setting and is it the right one? Can we change that if our survival depends on it?
    Last edited by Crimefree; 24-02-2010 at 08:25. Reason: correction

User

You will not get a reply from any of them. ALL, and I mean ALL polititions are only there to serve their own pockets. In each party you will get Gun Free suporters and pro-gun suporters. They are too afraid if they take a stance either way they will loose some suport, so they would rather say nothing on that issue.

Can anyone tell me what ANY political party did in suporting/protecting our interests.

These days only the previously disadvantagded`s rights are protected by the ANC/SACP govt. Of course that does not include the right to bear arms lawfully, instead the right to bear arms unlawfully are protected !!

No politition are doing anything in protecting my rights, including the right to bear arms. Absolutaly nothing. F them all !!!!!!!

User

Hi Crimefree
    Thanks for the reply.

If I understand what you've said, it is time to create a united front, and get those we voted for, to start paying attention to us.

A united front with pro-gun organizations right now, I believe, is going to be a bit of a long-shot. There seems to be a lot of infighting and stepping on toes between these organizations, and they all quite rightly have their own agendas (my opinion)

I do however believe that there are a few common issues that affect all of us, namely the right to own firearms, the FCA, and the time it takes to obtain competencies and licenses. I know there are tons more, but I think these are the biggies.
    Maybe Gunsite is the forum to get this going, as there doesn't seem to be any affiliation to any organizations, so they could all join in on this site to try and create that united front.

Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

Cheers
    Mag

I will differ I have found two politicians from two different parties to both be extremely supportive of our cause
    the two are
    Pieter Groenewald VF+ and Dianne Kohler Barnard of the DA both are onside and take the time to reply to each one of my e mails! The ACDP have also stated in their manifesto a support of legal CIVILIAN firearms ownership and I would draw your attention to our search function specifically regarding last years election which speaks to this issue
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

correction there is a third politician who represents the DA who is hugely supportive as well and regularly conducts out of pocket expenses to promote our rights (check todays CITIZEN!) if you are in the Pietersburg area there is only one person to vote for!
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wismit View Post
    You will not get a reply from any of them. ALL, and I mean ALL polititions are only there to serve their own pockets. In each party you will get Gun Free suporters and pro-gun suporters. They are too afraid if they take a stance either way they will loose some suport, so they would rather say nothing on that issue.
    You may well get a reply but it will simply explain what they have done out of the goodness of their hearts.

They are pragmatic in the extreme if we can't help them win an election, any election we are of no use to them. If we can't punish the by causing them to lose an election we are of no use to ourselves.

Can anyone tell me what ANY political party did in suporting/protecting our interests.
    I can, are you interested? I can tell you why they did as well and why they now ignore firearm owners. Do you want to know?

These days only the previously disadvantagded`s rights are protected by the ANC/SACP govt. Of course that does not include the right to bear arms lawfully, instead the right to bear arms unlawfully are protected !!
    The law is an ass and subject to change by POLITICIANS. The law is not protection of anyone from politicians. Where did you get this idea that laws protect, from lawyers and idealists?

No politition are doing anything in protecting my rights, including the right to bear arms. Absolutaly nothing. F them all !!!!!!!
    You have just defeated your own argument. Politicians are doing exactly what they can be expected to do, pander to public demands. What you are pissed off at is that they are not pandering to your demands but refusing to see why they are not pandering to your demands.

You are expecting a lion to eat grass.

If firearm owners will not stand together and use the system when polite and reasonable appeals fail, they will be ignored.

The system is that the public get what they demand when and only when it will impact on the political outcome of anything politicians and government seeks to do.

There is no point in accepting defeat before you have tried because of "conventional" wisdom. Learn what makes politics tick and use it against them. One person is an annoyance to politics at best but one person can start a fire the consumes all.

Which would you rather be? One of many who complain and band together or one of many individuals who expect they command respect and will be listened to even after they have been rejected.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Crimefree View Post
    I can, are you interested? I can tell you why they did as well and why they now ignore firearm owners. Do you want to know?
    Please. Knowledge is power.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by abhm View Post
    correction there is a third politician who represents the DA who is hugely supportive as well and regularly conducts out of pocket expenses to promote our rights (check todays CITIZEN!) if you are in the Pietersburg area there is only one person to vote for!
    Firearm owners need to realise the power they have and use it for their own good.

There is only one person that each and everyone MUST vote for and just as important let that person know they voted for him because of his support of firearm ownership.

Politicians need to know where they stand, why they are there and what may happen if they forget.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast