User

Default Hawks gets it wrong

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...lowed-20150818

5 suspects go free after procedure not followed

2015-08-18 21:43Ahmed Areff, News24

(Hawks)
    Multimedia · User Galleries · News in PicturesSend us your pictures · Send us your stories

Related Links

Vereeniging - Five suspects, who were arrested for the unlawful possession of firearms in Vereeniging, south of Johannesburg, were released because a Hawks team did not follow procedure, it said on Tuesday.
    "It appears that the team, which had done fantastic work in apprehending the suspects, for some reason did not follow through by ensuring that the suspects were charged and presented before court within 48 hours, as required by law," spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said.
    The five were arrested on Saturday afternoon and were found in possession of four firearms including an R4 rifle.
    They were supposed to have been charged and to have appeared in the Vereeniging Magistrate's Court on Tuesday afternoon.

Acting Hawks head Major General Mthandazo Ntlemeza said that the management of the Hawks viewed the incident as a serious matter and he had ordered an internal investigation to be instituted.
    "We are currently working extremely hard to rectify this matter. We are confident that in the end, justice will be served and the individuals we had arrested will be brought before the courts," Ntlemeza said.
    "We are responsible for the safety of all people living in our country; what happened is unacceptable and we will do all in our power to ensure it never happens again."

User

Default Re: Hawks gets it wrong

DaFuq!!!!

User

My friend of my friend or fellow law enforcement official maybe?

When the Scorpions still existed they approached UP for law graduates with an interest in law enforcement. They pretty much wanted trained prosecutors as team members to ensure proper procedure is followed on searches and arrests etc, to prevent suspects getting away on technicalities (such as this).

I really wanted to do it. Luckily for me I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    When the Scorpions still existed they approached UP for law graduates with an interest in law enforcement. They pretty much wanted trained prosecutors as team members to ensure proper procedure is followed on searches and arrests etc, to prevent suspects getting away on technicalities (such as this).

I really wanted to do it. Luckily for me I didn't.
    Yes, it's a complex issue and a lot can be said. The concept was very good.

But ultimately their heads grew to big and they messed up in my humble opinion themselves by for instance raiding July Mohammed's law offices (despite supposedly knowing better) and seizing a lot of privileged information.