Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Practical / Tactical Long Range Competition - Steel Storm 2015

As far as I know the PMP 55gr FMJ is not 'armour piercing'... but you might want to use a heavier FMJ with a BoatTail for the 223 to run the distance more effectively.
    Our targets are made of 12mm AR500 steel, so they're not really going to do a lot of damage as long as they remain under 3000fps... as the traffic department keeps telling us... 'Speed Kils'...

There is no ammo limit on the Semi's, so you could walk your shots in... and get better as you go.

The Max 3000 fps @ muzzle rule suck. I would presume it has to do with the steel targets but at the longer distances it would not matter. Many long range shooters will be setup above 3000fps.

Other than that it looks like great fun

Hi Plaashaas... yeah we hate restrictive rules too, but some of the targets are only around 150-200m (non-prone shooting position), and speed just kills targets.
    As they are our major cost (for 120 of them), we would like them to last as long as possible for many more competitions to come.

Daylite

I can understand your concern but must say even 30cal bullets leaving muzzle at 3300fps does not make that much damage on good steel, even at 150m. I cant see a shooter changing his loads and dope for a competition with an entry fee of 2k.

Maybe it is just me.

Good luck with the event, it sounds awesome and I like the format and scoring.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Plaashaas View Post
    Daylite

I can understand your concern but must say even 30cal bullets leaving muzzle at 3300fps does not make that much damage on good steel, even at 150m. I cant see a shooter changing his loads and dope for a competition with an entry fee of 2k.
    This isnt bench rest shooting. Having to adapt your load and dope adds to the challenge if you ask me.

PlaasHaas... all good...

Funnily not a lot of long range guys shoot over 3000fps, as most of us use heavy high BC bullets, and you just get too much recoil on the 30cals at high velocity to spot your own hits.

If you're running a 308Win, then a 168gr-185gr Berger would be a great choice at around 2550-2650fps, and if it's a 300WM, then a 185gr-230gr Berger would be good in the 2600-2900fps area.

It's the 6mm's with 105gr bullets that tend to hit the max velocity quicker than the rest of us, and in the US, the top shooters primarily shoot 6mm's or 6.5mm's in these competitions, although there are a good number of 308Win competitors.

Come join us some time... you'll be hooked !

Quote Originally Posted by dAyLiTe View Post
    PlaasHaas... all good...

Funnily not a lot of long range guys shoot over 3000fps, as most of us use heavy high BC bullets, and you just get too much recoil on the 30cals at high velocity to spot your own hits.

If you're running a 308Win, then a 168gr-185gr Berger would be a great choice at around 2550-2650fps, and if it's a 300WM, then a 185gr-230gr Berger would be good in the 2600-2900fps area.

It's the 6mm's with 105gr bullets that tend to hit the max velocity quicker than the rest of us, and in the US, the top shooters primarily shoot 6mm's or 6.5mm's in these competitions, although there are a good number of 308Win competitors.

Come join us some time... you'll be hooked !
    I'm already hooked.

With regards to the 308w, yes 168gr @2650 is sweeeeet. The 300wm 205 Amax @2900'ish is awesome. I'm working on a 6.5C and 260rem. The BC's as you say is hard to beat.

Keep the tread updated please.

User

this looks like heaps of fun!
    Never shot long distance before, but have been waiting for something like this...

Unfortunately timing sucks :( I have a big exam on 8 October, so weekends in September are strictly behind a desk :(
    sigh, would have been fun to see how effective a standard 243 with PMP brownbox could be :D => dont reload yet, unfortunately

in the future i foresee some big expenses coming...

User

What prizes will there be?

Hey Arnold... great Question !

We're currently working with sponsors to put together an awesome prize table.
    On top of that for this first event we're going to add cash prizes in for the Winner and Second place competitors in each division from Tac Driver based on number of entries per division.

More in the next weeks to come as more sponsors come on board.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast