Page 47 of 102 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Bullet performance data base

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Nice Tstone. I am surprised she ran that far with such a wound. What magnification as a matter of interest?
    I shot with the scope at 10x.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Because you only have the wound, not the added cavitation effect by high speed bullet impact, you will find bullet impact velocity was probably below 2000ft/s.
    Thanks, good point.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I shot with the scope at 10x.
    Thank you.

User

This is a 180gn PMP blue box round from my 3006, didn't find it when we skinned the deer, found it in my stew I had for lunch today Shot her in the chest at 109 meters.

User

180gr Hornady GMX
    .300 win mag.
    2900fps mv.
    Sub adult eland bull, carcass weight 220kg.
    Rear angling shot at ±200m. Bullet entered far back in rib cage, penetrated diagonally through liver and lung. Bullet recovered under skin in front part of opposite shoulder.
    Eland went down within 50 meters.
    Bullet recovered weight 175.7gr (97.6%)

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    180gr Hornady GMX
    .300 win mag.
    2900fps mv.
    Sub adult eland bull, carcass weight 220kg.
    Rear angling shot at ±200m. Bullet entered far back in rib cage, penetrated diagonally through liver and lung. Bullet recovered under skin in front part of opposite shoulder.
    Eland went down within 50 meters.
    Bullet recovered weight 175.7gr (97.6%)

Great pic of recovered GMX bullet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

What is noticeable about some monolithics, like the GMX posted by T-stone, the expansion does not happen up to the bullet shank, meaning the frontal surface is not flat there is still a hole before you reach the bullet shank.

The gilding metal is hard, so the trade off is lesser expansion and more penetration vs more expansion and less penetration.
    Dead is dead, it's just something I observe, being someone that studies bullets very closely.

User

The gilding metal is hard, so the trade off is lesser expansion and more penetration vs more expansion and less penetration.
    Dead is dead, it's just something I observe, being someone that studies bullets very closely.
    Dead is dead, as you said, but it probably proves that there is simply not a perfect bullet. This one came from a situation where I would trade more penetration for less expansion, however, I often encounter situations where more penetration is simply not needed and more expansion would probably be beneficial. In the end, good enough is probably good enough and we all should focus more on marksmanship, anatomical knowledge and hunting skills. However, I remain fascinated by how bullets perform in real world situations. I guess everyone should have a hobby :)

User

What is noticeable about some monolithics, like the GMX posted by T-stone, the expansion does not happen up to the bullet shank, meaning the frontal surface is not flat there is still a hole before you reach the bullet shank.

Well, that's close to double the diameter, which means 4x the projected frontal area... Compared to something like a Barnes' petals, I'd won't be surprised if the actual projected frontal area of the GMX is at least equal and may perhaps even be larger, even though the Barnes' petals may open up further from the middle. Our eyes are good at judging distance, but not area.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Well, that's close to double the diameter, which means 4x the projected frontal area...
    15.1mm to be exact. For interest sake I measured a fully expanded Barnes TSX in the same caliber, it was close to 17mm. To be fair, I have seen both the Barnes TTSX and the Hornady GMX shed all their petals leaving you with a caliber sized flat nosed bullet.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

About 2 weeks back I used some PMP Brown Box ammo on a hunt, didn’t have time to load anything and it was for my 308, weight was 180gr.

Shot a BWB and Warthog.

On the BWB bullet didn’t hit any heavy bone, went through the ribs on a broadside shot, took out the lungs and plumbing above the heart, and stopped just under the skin on the opposite side after passing through a rib. I recovered the jacked and core (still need to weight them) both had separated but mushroomed well. Shot distance was approx 100m and the cow ran about 30m.

The warthog was shot from about 30m and dropped on the spot. The shot was a frontal quartering shot and the bullet went in between the neck and shoulder joint, again taking out the lungs and plumbing, also hitting no heavy bone. Again there was core separation and only the jacket was recovered after passing through a rib and coming to rest under the skin. The recovered jacket showed full expansion with about 1-2mm not having expanded.

This is pretty much my first hunt with my 308, usually I use my 375.

My take out from this is PMP Brown Box does not fill me with confidence at all for large and medium sized game with heavy bone structure. I’m sure that I f I had hit heavy bone on the BWB the bullet would not have made it through to the vitals.

I wouldn’t consider Brown Box for anything bigger than Impala or Blesbuck

Page 47 of 102 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 ... LastLast