Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54

Default Re: Bullet performance data base

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Did a lot of work crossing a animal that size.
    I think 286gr Pro-Amm would have done the same.
    "It's not the dying part that scares me, it's the not living."

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Yes. Have a look at the shaft of the bullet, there is some damage there as well. The bullet did break some serious bone, but that was towards the end of its journey when it must have been going fairly slowly. On the positive side, it penetrated at least 1.5m, going through the rumen (grootpens), before reaching the vitals, and shoulder and the animal did not get very far. A similar shot with a cup and core bullet might not have made it far enough. Still, I am surprised at the weight loss.
    Sample size too small to draw any meaningful conclusion.
    But, you know me, always try and puzzle things out.
    My mind tells me the initial impact velocity was not enough to initiate proper expansion hence when it connected bone the misformed tip caused the petals to bend incorrectly hence break off.

Or something to that tune :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Sample size too small to draw any meaningful conclusion.
    But, you know me, always try and puzzle things out.
    My mind tells me the initial impact velocity was not enough to initiate proper expansion hence when it connected bone the misformed tip caused the petals to bend incorrectly hence break off.

Or something to that tune :)
    This is a new caliber and bullet for me, I have shot only 14 animals with this bullet and have recovered only 2 bullets. My longest shots were a eland at 230m, a warthog at 250m and a springbok at 300. The bullet from the eland was recovered and there is a photo of it in post #492 in this thread. Judging from the wound channels in the warthog, which was shot on the shoulders but not hitting bone, and the springbok, which I hit low and slightly to the rear, the bullets expanded. The springbok walked 50 meters and lay down despite the shot being anything but perfect.

The 9.3mm GMX has a blunter shape and larger hollow point than other calibers of GMX's, it has probably been designed to expand at lower velocities than its siblings in other calibers. I have stopped using it past 250m and so far everything I have shot with it died quickly.

The bullet in this case penetrated through the rumen (grootpens), punched through the liver and did fairly severe damage to the right lung. Looking at the damage to the organs it does look as if the bullet expanded in the rumen. I would in any case be really surprised if it did not expand in that wet soggy mass. Anyway, the bullet did what it was supposed to do, killed the eland. If I did not find the bullet I would have been perfectly happy. But I am interested in bullet design and behavior and probably overthink this kind of thing.

If hunting antelope and pigs were the sole purpose for this caliber, the 250gr Nosler Accubond would probably be the best choice but I want a bullet that I can use to hunt out to 250m and have sufficient penetration to kill a buffalo at close range. And yes, it is a compromise.

Ja but now in your efforts to compromise you ended up using a bullet that goes down to 200gr in weight after contact with a small(ish) animal, and that is the bullet you want to stop a buff with.

If that is anything to go by you might as well load it with 230gr Kriek or 230gr Peregrine at 2700ft/s, and carry an FN bullet as round 2 to 3.

User

Recovered 2 bullets over the last month...

Cal: 308
    Hornady 150 grain BTSP Interlocks
    Velocity: +-2800 fps

Bullet 1 (Left): 48" Kudu bull, field dressed at 202kg. Shot was around 120m, I hit the bull just in front of his right shoulder - bull was slightly quartering towards me. Bullet passed through one lung and into the heart.
    No bones were hit/broken and I found what was remaining of the bullet jacket inside the heart. Bull ran 30m.

Bullet 2 (Right): Large Bushpig boar around 100kg. Shot was around 50m, walk and stalk in mielies. Bullet broke some ribs and part of the spine and the jacket was found in opposite shoulder. Boar dropped on the spot.

I shot a few other things but these were the only bullets recovered. I was surprised how "easily" the jacket and lead core separated - especially on the kudu where no bone was struck. I know these aren't anything special, but the jackets is really thin.

Anyway, they are very accurate in my rifle. Guess that's a plus..

koels-2.jpgkoels-1.jpg

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54