Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rudes View Post
    I have actually never placed my handgun in any kind of container or case. The last time I flew SAA was November 2009.

I arrive at the firearm counter with my Glock on my hip and a round in the chamber. I then unload it in the designated area before signing it in. / Only firearm and number of rounds of ammunition gets logged in the register. At the destination I remove all items from the plastic bag, reload my gun in the designated area, holster and then leave.

I never declare my firearm ........
    Ditto & +1

Used to be the same for SA Express, which made Bloemfontein a no hassle trip. Now it's almost easier to just hit the road for the long haul.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rudes View Post
    I fly regularly and only fly with SAA as they are the only airline willing to transport my handgun as well. Cost is R100 handling fee or R60 if you store your firearm at the airport until your return. (Max of 5 days allowed)

This only applies to SAA and not SA Airlink or SA Express.

Procedure is as follows:
    - You book in normally (at the counter or self service) and get your boarding pass.
    - You then sign in your firearm at the firearm counter (right next to metal detectors at OR Tambo) I always add knife, leatherman and extra magazines here as well.
    - You receive a tax invoice as receipt which you again use at the destination airport firearm counter, together with your license, to collect your firearm.
    Rudes
    Any idea if I can do this at Lanseria? I will probably need to fly to DBN this comming weekend and drive up. I really don't want to leave my pistola behind, it is licensed under section 15, so that shouldn't be an issue. Do you have to declare why you are flying with your firearm, where it will be used etc?

Does anyone know if SAA fly from Jhb to Dbn from Lanseria airport?

Not good news to you, BrendanK:

Only Kulula flies from Lanseria at the moment - only sport and hunting related long arms and even then some of their staff dont know this.

Sweet

User

Default Re: flying and firearms

anyone used saa with sd gun to east london?

I have to go do some work on the wild coast this weekend and really want to take my sd gun with but am nervous of the procedures!

User

SD guns are not allowed as previously posted above in this very thread (with links to SAA page regarding this)

User

Ok sorry, I did re-read it must have missed east london.

cheers

In my experience East London is problematic because they seem to interchange SAA and SA Express flights. I flew to EL on an SA Express flight last year because no SAA flight was available and had to leave my SD gun at home. I then flew back on an SAA flight. If it had been the other way around I would have been scr.e.wed as SAA transports handguns but SA Express not.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal View Post
    SD guns are not allowed as previously posted above in this very thread (with links to SAA page regarding this)
    That's odd. I have transported my SD pistol on multiple occasions between JHB (OR Thambo) and Cape Town on SAA flights. The last time being in January this year - either something has changed since or nobody really enforces this.

User

That is odd.

User

From reading everything again it is my understanding that SD firearms ARE allowed on SAA but not SA express or SA airlink.

No other airlines will accept though.

cheers

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast