Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Franchi Semi Auto Problems

I need some help please. My Franchi semi-auto is not reliably cycling anymore. It is stove piping spent cases.

I have checked the extractor and the extractor spring and they seem fine. If i cycle the shotgun manually it extracts all the cartirdges without any problem.

I tried oiling the piston as i thought perhaps it was fouling up and being retarded, but the problem persists even when the shotgun is clean and well lubed.

I have cleaned the ports through the barrel and they seem clean. My Franchi has 4 ports in the barrel. The 2 front ports look like they have a sleeve in them, is this right or are the ports clogged with plastic from the wads?

I haven't changed my ammo. I have been using Diana 28grs 7" for as long as i can remember without any issues. I have had this issue with lighter loads, but never with the 28's.

I haven't changed or modified the shotgun in any way.

I don't know what else to look at, has anyone had a similar problem?

User

Default Re: Franchi Semi Auto Problems

You are not specifying the model of your Franchi, but since there are still many 500-series guns around, I'll make the assumption that your's is one of them.

The mod 500 comes with an O-ring that seals the gas cylinder (barrel attachment) around the mag tube, allowing you to shoot 24g and 28g loads. This ring deteriorates with age and use, and might need replacement. Try to find one with the correct dimensions at a hydraulic supply shop, preferably made from "Viton". The normal Neoprene O-rings can't take the heat and won't last.

Without the ring it might still function with 35g loads.

User

Are the circular grooves at the back of the piston cup clean where the o ring seats

Is the o ring in good condition

The piston should not need oil only on the surface where it runs up and down the tube.

If you remove your trigger assembly and bolt is everything inside the housing clean and lubed as I have seen a few really gummed up there that would give hassles cycling.

It should run all day long on 28s

you say the 4 ports are clean as far as I know there is def no sleeve they are drillings one set is much larger than the the other set

double check everything that must move when it cycles is moving easily that there is no binding or signs of biting on the surfaces that could slow the cycle down.

On that model it can really be only two things a gas pressure issue (o ring blocked ports dirty piston cup etc so you dont have enough power to cycle)

Or

resistance slowing down the cycle (bent part dragging or biting surfaces or something gummed up causing too much resistance)

Thats about all I can think of

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    You are not specifying the model of your Franchi, but since there are still many 500-series guns around, I'll make the assumption that your's is one of them.

The mod 500 comes with an O-ring that seals the gas cylinder (barrel attachment) around the mag tube, allowing you to shoot 24g and 28g loads.
    Yes, i'm sorry it is the model 500. The O ring looks good as far as it is not perished, but it is also the original O ring, do you think it may be part of the problem in that even though it looks okay it may still be old and therefore not working?

Quote Originally Posted by crasher View Post
    Are the circular grooves at the back of the piston cup clean where the o ring seats

Is the o ring in good condition

The piston should not need oil only on the surface where it runs up and down the tube.

If you remove your trigger assembly and bolt is everything inside the housing clean and lubed as I have seen a few really gummed up there that would give hassles cycling.

It should run all day long on 28s

you say the 4 ports are clean as far as I know there is def no sleeve they are drillings one set is much larger than the the other set

double check everything that must move when it cycles is moving easily that there is no binding or signs of biting on the surfaces that could slow the cycle down.

On that model it can really be only two things a gas pressure issue (o ring blocked ports dirty piston cup etc so you dont have enough power to cycle)

Or

resistance slowing down the cycle (bent part dragging or biting surfaces or something gummed up causing too much resistance)

Thats about all I can think of
    The grooves on the cup where the O ring sits are good. I will remove the trigger assembly and give it a once over, the bolt i stripped not to long ago so it is gtg.

One set of holes are definately smaller than the other. A fellow Franchi 500 shooter told me that he had quiet a build up of plastic in his ports over time, perhaps this is my problem. The hole should be a hole and not a hole with what looks like a sleeve in it. I was a little scared to just remove "the sleeve".

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    Yes, i'm sorry it is the model 500. The O ring looks good as far as it is not perished, but it is also the original O ring, do you think it may be part of the problem in that even though it looks okay it may still be old and therefore not working?
    One set of holes are definately smaller than the other. A fellow Franchi 500 shooter told me that he had quiet a build up of plastic in his ports over time, perhaps this is my problem. The hole should be a hole and not a hole with what looks like a sleeve in it. I was a little scared to just remove "the sleeve".

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.
    Yes, if old and hard, it might not seal properly anymore.

But a partial blockage in the gas ports will also result in a FTE. Clean (drill?) out the gas ports first.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Yes, if old and hard, it might not seal properly anymore.

But a partial blockage in the gas ports will also result in a FTE. Clean (drill?) out the gas ports first.
    It is old, but not hard. I have a spare i can try to see if that fixes the problem. I will have a look at the gas ports next and see what is going on there.

Thanks for the suggestions.

User

I think I may have found the problem.

I changed the O-ring, even though the current O-ring didn’t show any signs of wear. This didn’t solve the problem. I checked the gas ports under a magnifying glass and they are clean, no signs of plastic or carbon build up.

I then wiped the magazine tube (where the pistons runs) and inside of the piston with a rag to remove any oil. This still did not solve my problem. I lightly oiled the magazine tube with Trisol so that the piston had some lubrication and this seems to have solved my problem.

I previously had Fluid Film on the magazine tube and I think this was maybe a little too thick and was retarding the piston just enough from cycling all the way.

Thanks again to everyone who tried helping me out, I appreciate the help.

I’m planning on stripping the shotgun down to its’ bare minimum and giving it a once over anyway.

User

Did anybody have manuals or any other literature on the 500's?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal View Post
    I have a manual, but it is rubbish.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal View Post
    Numrich/Gun Parts have some "exploded" drawings, that might be helpfull. Not really complicated, as far a semi shotties go.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast