Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Malinois Breeders in GP

User

My dog comes from Von Grehenheim. The breeders are very involved in the GSD society in South Africa. IIRC Sonia was/is the secretary of the association.

My experience with them was fair, but, to be honest, I'm probably expecting too much. They gave the dog to me too "easily" in my view. I firmly believe that you, as a prospective buyer, should research the breeders as well as you can. But I also expect the breeder to go to the same trouble in return.

However, Udo had been sold and the buyer's circumstances changed, so they were probably in a rush to sell the growing pup.

The Von Grehenheim dogs are bred for their personalities and they are wonderful with other pets and humans:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FantomBadger View Post
    Good breeders know which puppies should go where.
    Very true. When I decide to get a (hunting) dog, I tell the breeder everything about me and my family, home, etc. that could be relevant. I let the breeder make the decision in the end.
    It has worked out for me quite well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Out of interest, was the dog from a local breeder or overseas?
    Local, I can find out who the breeder is, he did tell me but I wasn't paying attention

User

We will be visiting Dave Harris in a month's time. He breeds with both Malis and GSDs so will be a nice outing seeing both breeds.

We have pretty much ruled out a Belgian Malinois already and will be looking specifically at his GSDs.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FantomBadger View Post
    We will be visiting Dave Harris in a month's time. He breeds with both Malis and GSDs so will be a nice outing seeing both breeds.

We have pretty much ruled out a Belgian Malinois already and will be looking specifically at his GSDs.
    I've heard great things about his GSD's

Banned

Dave has amazing dogs, I was very good friends with his kids at school and we used to spend every weekend watching them work. Definitely worth looking very closely at his dogs as an option.

User

Late reply and just echoing what has already been said: Malinos are the navy seals of the dog world they are crazy driving mad exercise needs and dam hard to control unless you have a job for them to do every day.
    I do protection work with my pitbull and guys involved in anti rhino pouching come for training at same school there Pitbulls are intense and great but there Malinois are something special far more intense and learn much quicker than a pitbull.
    Great working dogs real kak pet

Quote Originally Posted by BackStop View Post
    Dave has amazing dogs, I was very good friends with his kids at school and we used to spend every weekend watching them work. Definitely worth looking very closely at his dogs as an option.
    Got a GSD from Dave Harris a year ago - seriously awesome dog. He's awesome with my two kids too.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Maligators are great dogs. They are, however, not for everyone. Most people do not have the will or the time that they take to train and work - and they do need to work.

Gardens and Malinois don't really go hand in hand - you can have one or the other.

They need a firm handler, preferably one who is experienced. Mishandled they will easily come up your line and fuck you up. Cops in the US have had to go on permanent disability after their KNPV titled imports told them what they thought of them and their prong collar.

If your experience is with training a Rottweiler you are going to have a hard time with a Mal. Rottweilers are calm as a coma in comparison.

Most people looking for a shepherd type dog that will primarily be a pet will be far better served with a GSD. (Preferably one that isn't from from one of the eastern euro lines).

They are, as a rule, very intelligent and, as a result, are easily bored. This leads to destructive behavior. Mine likes to shred clothes, shoes, or full 2 litre colddrink bottles. Empty coke cans too if you aren't looking. Her brother eats tires for fun.

High prey drive leads to conflicts with cats and small dogs.

They bark - a lot.

You tube has plenty of videos about why you shouldn't get a Maligator.

Demand to see your prospective puppy's sire and dam's HD certificates. Do not support breeders who breed dogs with poor hips. As a rule, they are pretty robust but with the film Max coming out expect to see puppy mills churning out Malinois to the detriment of the breed.
    Hi SSP

We are moving to a plot here in Rustenburg. Looking for a bigger guard dog to support the JR. I like Rotties but my wife does not - I have tried, apart from presenting a 6 week puppy. The reason I prefer the Mali to the GSD is the shorter coat 38C + in summer is not fair on the dog. There is enough space to exercise 4Ha. I like a well trained dog as I grew up with well behaved Rotties and Pointers. Dog has to be protection outside but must sleep inside. There is enough living space inside. I prefer a smaller agile dog to a Boerboel type.

It seems from your post they are a no go for all but the professional trainers/users like K-9 units. I just spoke to a KUSA breeder who were not expressing the same concern.

Would this dog work given the extra space and given some training?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast