Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Handline snoek fishing oppertunities December 2015 Western Cape

Members, thank you kindly for this positive response, it really is much appreciated. I did hand line fishing for snoek and Geelstert about thirty years ago in Kalkbaai, since then have done it a lot of times, with Jerry Fish the skipper who had hands like bear claws and a skin like ox leather tanned in the sun of many, many days and years under the blue sea skies.he is one person who had made an incredible impression on my idea about the sea and it`s people..he really was an extraordinary person , captain of a seventy five year old "skuit" while he , himself was seventy years of age that time, he really was something special .. ..you needed to be there at half past two in the mornings...I was extremely fortunate to do my first trip with the legend Gerry Fish...I was fortunate to catch seven huge snoeks on the beat of the song " Give me hope Johanna" by Bob Mali...I sold five snoek and paid all my expenses...two I kept to braai...there was a twist to this story....
    Since it was my first time ever doing this type of fishing, I was not able to break the neck of the snoek I caught...so I devised a plan by ripping out the "kiewe" of the snoek..

Waking up the following day was extremely painful..my hands was swollen , glowing red and my fingers was swollen like russians...I was really in a lot of pain..going to the doctor he gave me anti -inflamery medication ..since the "kiewe" I ripped out penetrated through my skin and caused this type of reaction...I never again ripped out anything of a fish...

Catching yellowtail from a "skuit" is like the one member said..you really feel like having a rothweiler on the end of your line...when those fishes take your bait on the end of the hand line I hooked my feet underneath the boot rails of the "skuit " and use my body and arms as levers to pull the yellow-tail in..it is unbelievable how strong these fish is...a snoek is not half that strong...thank you again members for the feedback..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    Gert, try contacting Dave Christie on (+27) 82 460 8280 - he runs charters out of out Bay but is probably able to put you in touch with the Kalk Bay boys. Good luck
    Thank you Peter, it really is much appreciated, I will do so.

Regards

Gert

User

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    You haven't caught a fish till you've pulled a snoek or a yellow tail on handline.

I grew up in Fishhoek, and for a few years I had a permanent Sunday "site" on the kalk Bay boats.

I believe George is still catering for the Weekend fishermen out of KB on the "skuits" you mention

I will try get his no for you.

I doubt there will be any snoek in the bay this time of the year, but you never know.

The 1st time I went out for snoek, my friend, quite a bit more senior than I and certainly more experienced, described catching snoek in the following way.

"Imagine standing on the 3rd floor balcony and trying to pull up a Rottweiler with a thin piece of gut"

How right he was, which is why, to this day, I cant understand why when catching Cape Snoek on rod and reel they are so lifeless, boring even.
    Yeti
    You were very fortunate to have lived in Fishoek, I made it an appointment to take the train from Stikland to Simonstad..jumping off at Fishoek to buy fresh hake, chips and russians...waiting for the next train coming pass to hop on to eat my fresh fish at Simonstown...I will do so again this year...I absolutely make it a point to buy fresh hake from the real fish cafe ...where they still package it in the white paper with a lot of vinegar and some salt...there you still get real fish and ships with russians...I really will be pleased if you can get me a contact number as well...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    Gert, die snoek loop in die winter. Gert, snoek runs happen mostly in winter.
    Proud Prado
    You will catch snoek in Desember as well in Kalkbaai, some of these snoek they call a "pap snoek" due to the hotter water temperatures...it is something similar than the white worms you get in a guineafowl ....but for sure you will find snoek in the Kalkbaai hawe to buy in December...on the end of the day I really love hake..snoek is too dry, tough and course ....geelbek works for curry fish I make on the December holiday ..although I prefer hake to curry as well since it is a softer texture...the nice part of these holidays was diving for crayfish...I did this around Rooi Els, the water is clean and crystal clear if you look for the crayfish in deeper water, 15 meters plus..there are nice "banks " in front of the Rooi Els swimming beach..you just need to swim out a little further, pass the "bamboes" to get to these deeper , clear still waters that is much more colder than near the beach.... diving your own crayfish is really special, you can choose which one looks the best for your braai..sometimes you have to hold your breath to get these big ones out, they really can have a grip onto the rocks...

User

Okay the chap to contact for a day trip is Naim 078 996 2020

Good fishin !

Amazing thread. It reads like some story book to me. The experiences seems truly something, but I cannot relate to it even one bit, having lived in Transvaal my entire life.

Must have been quite something.

I must admit I think I braai a decent enough Snoek.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Okay the chap to contact for a day trip is Naim 078 996 2020

Good fishin !
    Yeti
    I thank you kindly, it really is much appreciated...I will definitely contact Naim...my son Ruan needs to experience being on a "skuit " and catching yellowtail/snoek..... If somebody really wants to experience something special it is then to take your fishing rod and climb down along side Rooikranz in the Cape Point nature reserve..fishing from those ledges is just something unbelievable ....there are "trains" who will pick up your bait and take off without knowing he is being hooked....they will strip your Penn 500 with ease...you need to have extremely strong fishing tackle to fish there...

There really is no other adrenaline rush as rock and surf fishing when you hook something big...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Amazing thread. It reads like some story book to me. The experiences seems truly something, but I cannot relate to it even one bit, having lived in Transvaal my entire life.

Must have been quite something.

I must admit I think I braai a decent enough Snoek.
    What is your secret sauce? Lemon, apricot jam(very fine) pineapple sauce , course black pepper and course salt?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    What is your secret sauce? Lemon, apricot jam(very fine) pineapple sauce , course black pepper and course salt?
    Butter, 1tsp olive oil, apricot jam, lemon juice, black pepper and 5/10ml of Inna Paarman's Garlic and Herb spice. If you want add a tsp of mustard as well.

User

This thread brought back a lot of memories and tears to my eyes. RIP Dad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast