Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: INFRARED SPECTROSCOPY OF FIRECLEAN AND CRISCO OILS

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    I don't think FireClean being composed of vegetable oils was ever a secret; it's right there in the patent. I don't quite follow why there's now an uproar over vegetable oils demonstrating similar spectroscopic traits to other vegetable oils.
    Exactly. We also know that Slip 2000 has no petroleum content.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    But Coke don't put their product in a Veuve Clicquot bottle and claim it's champagne either.

Bad analogy, but dressing up canola oil and selling it as a premium engineered product is cheeky.

I don't think anyone is claiming that FireClean is Crisco with nothing added.
    My understanding is that it's a canola oil base. Not 100% pure canola oil

User

I think this comment by TFB is the bottom line:

Now if you are a FireCLEAN user who is worried you are being duped into paying more for FireCLEAN than you should, you can very cheaply determine if this is the case. Buy a bottle of Canola Vegetable Oil for a few dollars and try cleaning your guns with it. If it works the same as FireCLEAN, stop using FireCLEAN. If it does not, resume using FireCLEAN. It is literally that simple. Canola may work better for some people than others, depending on the types of shooting they do, the local environmental conditions and the type of ammunition they use etc. - See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2....EWx1jr1s.dpuf

For me the paragraph ahead of that one is the most important statement:

I know I might be shattering people’s worldview, but most, if not all, gun lubricants and cleaners on the market are high mark up products made from cheap chemicals. Nobody out there is inventing new chemicals to use with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    I think this comment by TFB is the bottom line:

Now if you are a FireCLEAN user who is worried you are being duped into paying more for FireCLEAN than you should, you can very cheaply determine if this is the case. Buy a bottle of Canola Vegetable Oil for a few dollars and try cleaning your guns with it. If it works the same as FireCLEAN, stop using FireCLEAN. If it does not, resume using FireCLEAN. It is literally that simple. Canola may work better for some people than others, depending on the types of shooting they do, the local environmental conditions and the type of ammunition they use etc. - See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2....EWx1jr1s.dpuf

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Off their FB page. A less hysterical comment that makes better sense (Disclaimer, I am involved with the import of the product)

Julio A R Gamboa FIREClean I think you have a case for prosecution here.

As I posted on Larry Vickers' page and this goes to the masses who don't understand what is being presented to them here.

"You do realise that all IR spectra tells you is the kind of functional groups present in a given sample, right? Not how many or in what order.

That is like saying all boxes containing rivets, nuts, bolts, aluminium, steel, copper wiring, plastic and some upholstery are cars. It is the number and how they are assembled within the structure what define a compound and IR spectra gives you no such thing.

Further to that, as Mr. Vickers has mentioned, a patent is not granted for stuff that already exists without showing an innovation upon something. People who work in patents on both sides of the pond are these days PhD holders, usually in the area of expertise they litigate on.

I would go out on a limb and guess this mystery professor to either be an inexperienced student or his words have been rephrased because no self-respecting chemist would ever make such statements"

Somebody else at Mr. Vickers' page also mentioned a fact that is probably not well known to those outside industry and it is the industrial usage of genetically modified soy bean oil. The intricacies of why it works are probably beyond an explanation that can be grasped on the fly or in the space of a short post, suffice to say that because it comes from soy beans it does not mean the formulation can be replicated by simply heading to Walmart and buying three different brands of veg oil and a funnel.

Trust me, just because you can read the patent and a malicious blog post with a few graphs it does not mean you have suddenly been bestowed with understanding. Nor have you been conned (as I said, other chemists posting on various firearm pages have been fully aware of bio-oil formulations for industrial lubricants).

I haven't even yet tried this product but because of all the ignorant rabble I actually react in the opposite direction. I might just have to grab a bottle and try it because I cannot support libel and bad science
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    For me the paragraph ahead of that one is the most important statement:
    I agree with the TFB comment but that does not mean that people are not using different combinations of chemicals or organic material to get to a new product.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    I agree with the TFB comment but that does not mean that people are not using different combinations of chemicals or organic material to get to a new product.
    Entirely true.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankH View Post
    suffice to say that because it comes from soy beans it does not mean the formulation can be replicated by simply heading to Walmart and buying three different brands of veg oil and a funnel
    Just so. Many people fail to realise that many automotive hydraulic fluids for example, are vegetable based. Come over sometime and I'll point it out to you under the lid of my Mercedes. The fact that its vegetable based doesn't automatically mean its not the right thing for the job.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

You can hear the crickets in this thread!
    So what the kid spoke about in comments regarding how things are assembled and in what order means that how you mix your oils is important. It's like adding milk to your tea instead of tea to your milk. The molecules remember who was there first. Think of it as colonisation of molecules :)

Whiskey.... ????????

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast