Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: License App - What to Take Along / Submit

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    I've used a copy that was emailed to me and didn't have any trouble applying for the licence.
    Thanks PO.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    I've used a copy that was emailed to me and didn't have any trouble applying for the licence.
    Ive done this on numerous occasions. No issues of yet.

OK, after submitting everything from your side to the DFO, what should you then get in return?

Proof of payment?
    Form SAPS 523?
    http://www.saps.gov.za/services/flas.../e523_test.pdf
    "You will receive a signed acknowledgement of receipt (SAPS 523) as proof that you have submitted an application for a licence to possess a firearm."
    http://www.saps.gov.za/services/flas...q_applying.php

Do they in fact issue these to some applicants at all?

Regulation 13(10) to the FCA:

"(10) An acknowledgment of receipt of an application must only be issued to the applicant if the application is, to the satisfaction of the Registrar, duly completed and accompanied by all the required information and documentation, and after the identity of the applicant on the required set of her or his fingerprints, has been verified by the relevant Designated Firearms Officer."

From the above it appears that it would later be difficult for them to claim (as we have seen now on a number of occasions) that the application was not duly completed, or that some of the documents you submitted "was never there", once they have issued you with a 523. So maybe if we are not provided with these receipts, its time for us to start asking for them.

Also, it appears from their own policy here that it is REALLY unnecessary to take a complete set of fingerprints for purposes of a license application. Theory must be that they have such a set on your profile created after the checks during your competency certificate, and that one fingerprint is enough verification that you are still the same person after that. So maybe print out their own policy for them, and show it to the DFO, if he disagrees as they sometimes do.

"The DFO will -
    • take a full set of your fingerprints on the SAPS 91(a) form (only for a competency certificate)"

User

As promised. Here is a list of requirements for a new license application, as per the Hillcrest DFO.

New Application checklist.jpg

PS A lot of people mention you need to include proof of residence. I do not see proof of residence as a requirement on the list. I have never submitted such and that is for 2 conversions from green to white card and 2 new applications, all approved.

Banned

A minor FYI: The DFO can certify any copies for you, so don't waste time on it beforehand.

User

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDijeaux View Post
    A minor FYI: The DFO can certify any copies for you, so don't waste time on it beforehand.
    This seems to be a bit hit or miss depending on the relevant DFO.

Before I went to Honeydew SAPS to submit my app, someone suggested that I first go to the charge office and have my ID copies certified.
    It's a good thing I did because there were one or two okes in the queue who got sent away because their copies weren't certified.

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller View Post
    This seems to be a bit hit or miss depending on the relevant DFO.

Before I went to Honeydew SAPS to submit my app, someone suggested that I first go to the charge office and have my ID copies certified.
    It's a good thing I did because there were one or two okes in the queue who got sent away because their copies weren't certified.
    Friday afternoon (from 11:00) or Monday morning or just any day?

Banned

Hi. Can you apply for a dual license for a handgun (SD)?

User

I received a check list from DS guns. It states you need proof of residence, proof of employment and 3 x character references from friends or family.
    Did things change that much in 2 odd years since my last successfull application that had neither of this attached?

Are these a must have on a new s16 app?

User

All depends on the DFO. I lived in Mthatha (enough said!) and needed to have incorrect information forms for 2 of my licenses. Forms submitted, payment made and ackowledgement of said forms received. It took 3 years of regular visits to the DFO. As soon as he saw my face in the doorway, he said nothing received yet. Get to Montagu and a whole new ball game. The first set of forms were never sent to Pretoria. Did my renewal and also a new application. No hassles whatsoever. Just did what they said (make an appointment, bring the following) and they even competed most of the forms. I just sat and signed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2