Default Cartridge IDs needed (9x19mm)

Hi All

I have in my collection several projectiles pulled from 9x19mm cartridges with headstamps that say AMT-97. Here are some pics:

I've heard several names for the company that may have made these in South Africa. Do any of you guys know who made it and their contact details if possible? The round is FMJ.

Number two on my list is a headstamp that simply says 9mm. A reliable source on another forum says it is made by PMP. Can someone confirm this, and give me some education on what other headstamps PMP may have used for FMJ in 9x19mm? Here are some pics:

Thanks fellas.

User

The AMT stuff was made I believe by ammutech (sp?) a small remanufactering concern. I think they were bought out by NGA probably about ten years ago or so. Used to come in blue cardboard boxes. Variants of those boxes are now used by NGA for some lines.

Thanks Big T, I might email someone at NGA and try get more info.

User

No worries.

I think the other one is probably PMP. The PMP headstamps I can think of are PMP 9mmP I think some are headstamped 9mm Luger.

There was a batch around the turn of the century headstamped NPA not PMP can't remember I they said 9mmP or Luger.

Odd Job,

Can't help ID'ing the AMT headstamp.

The other cartridge looks like the "sterile" 9mm FMJ's that we used on cross border and deniable operations in the 1980's. It was manufactured by PMP. They also manufactured similar 7.62 and 5.56 ammo.

This 9mm was specifically for the UZI and BXP and had / s very hard primers. I had SF on the range with some of this a month or two ago and we experienced some problems with ignition in handguns.
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Odd Job,

Can't help ID'ing the AMT headstamp.

The other cartridge looks like the "sterile" 9mm FMJ's that we used on cross border and deniable operations in the 1980's. It was manufactured by PMP. They also manufactured similar 7.62 and 5.56 ammo.

This 9mm was specifically for the UZI and BXP and had / s very hard primers. I had SF on the range with some of this a month or two ago and we experienced some problems with ignition in handguns.
    Ross
    Were the 'sterile' 9x19 FMJ's sub-sonic 147/158gr FMJ's? I have come across some very, very hot 9x19 Military grade FMJ's that were supposedly for use in UZI's during the Border War.

Odd Job,

No, they were "standard" FMJ, 125gr if I recall correctly.

I know about the "hot" 9mm ammo suppossedly loaded for the sub guns. It used to break our old Walther P38's! I'm giving my age away here! The front of the rails, above the recoil springs used to break away. They then issued us Hirtenberg 9mm ammo which was just as hot and also broke the P38's!

Wish I could lay my hands on a couple of thousand Hirtenberg 9mm and .45ACP today!
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

Thanks Ross, that is very helpful!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Odd Job,

No, they were "standard" FMJ, 125gr if I recall correctly.

I know about the "hot" 9mm ammo suppossedly loaded for the sub guns. It used to break our old Walther P38's! I'm giving my age away here! The front of the rails, above the recoil springs used to break away. They then issued us Hirtenberg 9mm ammo which was just as hot and also broke the P38's!

Wish I could lay my hands on a couple of thousand Hirtenberg 9mm and .45ACP today!
    Thanks Ross. I shot a good couple hundred through my Star Firestar Plus when I first got it, although very hot (muzzle blast was insane), had no negative effect on the pistol (not that I would do it again, but needed the practice).