Default 6,5x55 swedish for african hunting

Hi
    what would you hunt or can be hunted legaly in africa with this caliber?
    best regards
    Daniel

User

daniel, the 6.5mm is a very nice calibre for hunting plains game.A wide variety of animals, from the smaller species like Duiker up to Kudu has been taken with it. The 6.5mm offers good sectional density and penetration.(140gr bullet is very nice)
    2 Problems: 1) because there are a lot of older ex military rifles still in circulation a lot of cartridge manufacturers load the 6.5x55 ammunition down so that it can be safely used in those old rifles. If you have a modern rifle and you reload for it you can utilise the true potential of this calibre.
    2) A draft proposal for the hunting industry has laid down a list of calibres suitable for hunting certain species, and omitted the 6.5mm from this list. We have submitted comments and opinions and hopefully it will be rectified, but if the draft is implemented as it is, it would mean that you may legally only hunt Springbuck and smaller animals with this calibre. I cant see how the authorities would enforce this.

User

The 6.5 Swede is a great cartridge for most of our huntable species. As Thomas mentioned it's bullets offer good sectional density and penetration. Since it operates at moderate velocities, standard bullets work well. I launch 140gr bullets at around 2600fps and 160gr bullets at around 2400fps. Penetration has always been excellent, especially with the 160 grainers. This makes it suitable for even some of the larger species provided you stay away from heavy bone as this causes the long thin bullets to bend or break resulting in defelection or poor penetration. With well placed shots though, those 160gr bullets are seldom recovered inside the animal.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

P.S. 120gr bullets can be launched at close to 2900fps which makes it usable for most of our open terrain hunting as well. It really is quite versatile.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

I have hunted most medium game with my 6.5x55.
    I would draw the line at Wildebeest and really big Kudu bulls.

It will do its job with the lovely reliable penetration but not ideally.

The only bullet I ever recovered was on a raking shot on a wounded Kudu cow.
    From the rear to the front chest.

I'm very concerned about the new legislation as it may relegate my beloved 6.5 to small game only.

ps mine is a left handed Tikka.

User

Talking

In addition to the other guys replies, the 6.5x55 also has great accuracy potential.
    I shot a 200m, 19mm, 3 shot group 2 weeks ago, my 6.5 is built on a 1904 Obendorf Mauser action with a 26 inch Vektor barrel, 21mm at the muzzle.
    I load 140gr SP Hornady's at around 2550 ft/s and I have used this load suceesfully on all animals up to the size of Zebra.
    I agree that this calibre should not be used on animals in the zebra class, however the little 140gr convestional bullet penetrated the width of the zebra on a broadside shot and was found in the opposite front leg after breaking it.
    But to get back to your question, I feel comfortable to hunt any aimal up to the size of a Black / Red hartebeest with properly constructed bullets.
    The recoil of this calbre is very mild and women and kids can shoot it comfortably.
    My personal opinion is that this is a great calibre and that you will never regret acquireing one.