User

Default Sierra 165gr HPBT Gameking

Does anyone have an opinion on this bullet for allround shooting and hunting out of a 308? Although it is a hpbt it is listed by Sierra as a hunting bullet. I would love to know how it performs on game.

User

Quote Originally Posted by dave schenck View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion on this bullet for allround shooting and hunting out of a 308? Although it is a hpbt it is listed by Sierra as a hunting bullet. I would love to know how it performs on game.
    Hi Dave

I have had poor performance from the Sierra Game Kings 165gr out of my 308 Win. I have found poor penetration and bullet break up especially at distances around 50m-150m. (Just my experience). I have switched to the Nosler Accubond 165gr and can only but recommend them. Great penetration, weight retention and accuracy of a match bullet. Last year I put down a Gemsbuck just short of 300m which cleanly exited the shoulder. They are pricy but if you weigh up the cost of a lost Gemsbuck its a small price to pay. I know of 3 others that use this same bullet in there 308's and they all work with the same level of accuracy and performance. They come in 150gr and 165gr.

User

Wesley - was this the SP or the HPBT?

User

Hi Dave

It was the SP

User

Thanks Wesley - I am looking at the HPBT not the SP. I do not mind bullet break up if the bullet does its job. I shoot the 85gr HPBT gamekings in my 243 and most of them break up but every animal dies like someone flipped a light switch - potent! I have also heard the Noslers are good but I like standard cup and core bullets because they were designed to kill quickly! Sierra does not make a premium bullet and if their bullets are used to spec then they are brilliant

User

The Sierra 165 HPBT Game King is not a target bullet. It is a true hunting bullet. It is built tougher than their GK 165gr SBT and that is from Sierra it's self. They have been tested on 8" thick laminated beam at 25yds driving the bullet a 3250fps and the HPBT GK went through the beam and recovered 75 yds down range out of the dirt back stop and there was no core or jacket separation with a retained weight of 121grs.

I shot a black bear weighing 432pounds at 90yds with the HPBT GK out of an 30-06 Ackely IMProved cartridge at 3056fps at muzzle and the GK took out the other side the heart and lungs. When we cleaned the bear there was not sign of either in the chest cavity. The Bear leaped off a rock it was standing on piled up on the ground in front of the rock.

With white tail I have had all pass through with one shot kills and devastating effect on the deer. Needless to say, coyote, some bobcats and I don't remember the number of hogs killed with this bullet out of my 30-06 rifles I own and these were one shot kills. This is a real sleeper of a bullet. We have tried it on elk in Arizona and our furtherest shot was 230yds on elk and the closest was 38yds and they were not only pass throughs on the close shots but also one shot kills. I think this is the most underrated bullet on the market for 30 cal rifles like the 300Win, 300Wsm, and the 30-06.

The largest animal I have killed with this bullet was an elk and the toughest was a bore in South Lousiana weighing 478 pounds. It did not pass through the elk at 230yds but was found in the off shoulder. It passed through the hog and in all cases left devastating wound channels. It is along with the 180gr BT my go to bullet for my 30-06 rifles.