Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Steyr/ Mannlicher Schoenauer GK rifle collectors in South Africa?

Good day to all members.

I believe all is well and good on your side , although we did not win the rugby world cup we still are able to hunt every year....

Members , if you know a Mannlicher Schoenauer collector /about a collector please be so kind as to pm/e-mail me..

godendaal@hotmail.com

I really want to contact a collector who collect the Mannlicher Schoenauer GK rifles also know as the "old " Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles...

Regards

Gert Odendaal

Default Re: Steyr/ Mannlicher Schoenauer GK rifle collectors in South Africa?

Hi Gert ,
    please also keep me in the loop if you should find a collector as this is my intended area of interest.
    I have recently made application to become a collector.
    i own on MS rifle.

User

Dirtbuster, what caliber do you have , please upload photos of your Mannlicher Schoenauer?

I will let you know if I have some leads...

Gert

User

Hi Gert,
    I am a collector and MS is part of my field of interest.
    The chairman of the Manlicher Schönauer Collectors Association is a friend of mine.
    It is an international association and he is Danish. There are a few members in SA and they hold a wealth of info.
    There are 3 groups of MS rifles:
    Pre '24 rifles were: 1900 6.5x54MS round bolt Greek service rifle
    1903 6.5x54MS butterknife bolt Sporting rife
    1905 9x56MS " "
    1908 8x56MS " "
    1910 6.5x56MS " " I own a Carbine takedown.
    All rifles were MS cal and came in Carbine rifle as well as takedown versions.

Post '24 was pretty much same rifle options bit in non-MS cal.
    .30-06, 7x57, 7x64, 8x57JS, 8x60S, 9.3x62mm, 10.75x68mm

War broke out and production changer to K98 rifles for Germany & not discussed.

1950 MS started production of rifles of own design but this was a step away from the original MS rifles.
    Rifles had plastic butt plates and after '52 swept back butter knife bolts. cal were all non-MS.
    the 1961 production was the last of the MS range before changing to Steyr and dropping the expensive (but stunning) Schönauer rotary magazine.

Amongst MS collectors there is a definite sentiment that only pre '50 rifles are true MSs, and Pre '24 with proprietary MS cal is the true blood MS. (I do not want to say it out loud), but all pre '24 cal brass can be made from 30-06 brass and RCBS still produce dies for the cals.

Please feel free to contact me if you need any info.

[QUOTE=stefanvan;957392]Hi Gert,
    Hallo Gert & Stefan
    I am collecting MS for a number of years and have about 20. Should you need some info I am quite willing to assist. Stefan, r.e. your comment of making all MScalibers from 30-06 brass is a bit farfetched. Although nearly anything is possible and landing a man on the moon might be more difficult, forming cases for calibers such as the 6,5x54; 9x56; 8x56; 9,5x57 from 30-06 brass is really not the way to go. The best parent case for these calibers are asfollows:

6,5x54 from 6,5x57 or 7x57 brass. However 6.5x54 cases are not difficult to obtain.
    9x56 and 9,5x57 from 8x57 brass.
    The 8x56 is a bid of a basted. Some rifles chambers the 8x57 case, than you have no problem, however rifles with tight chambers will not chamber the 8x57 case. Should you be able to obtain a base swaging die, then Bob's your uncle and you can swag the 8x57 base to .464inch. If not, you have to go a loooong route by converting the 303 case. I intend to write an article (some day) for Magnum on this modification.
    You may contact me directly: sarel.ccs@gmail.com

User

Hallo Sarel, thank you for the reply and info you provided, it is much appreciated.

I do have a .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer 1956 model..this caliber is said to be "rare" .
    The action/barrel number is :25337

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...(1956)-at-home

More info:
    http://mannlicherschoenauer.com/association.htm

I have no intentions to sell this rifle..I do have a Griffen& Howe side mount (new with certificate) but the .458 MS Magnum action do not have the insert on the side of the action for mounting the side mount..only the basic calibers have that feature...

If possible I want to trade the Griffen& Howe side mount for a claw type basis/rings to fit the .458 Mannlicher ...

Regards

Gert

User

Having a decent mannlicher will have to suffice in place of the RWC Gert. (Just watched the welcome home celebration for the AB's with the cup)

I have a 9.5 x 57 MS take down model. How do I know whether it is pre '24? It is definitely a proprietary MS calibre.I fire form brass from 8 x 57 cases, and resize with RCBS dies.I load a 270 gr .375 bullet.Willie Barnard

User

Hallo Garry, yes it seems the All Blacks will always be the team to beat....

Willie

Kan jy kyk of die kaliber so `n plaatjie het waar `n side mount kan vaskom? Will it be possible to upload photos of the insert where the side mount can be secured if it has such a feature? Look for it`s serial number and send it to the Mannlicher Schoenauer collectors forum to see if they can trace some history...

Regards

Gert

Hi Gert and others,
    mine is .270 win not sure one the year of manufacture but I think one of the last.
    gun is still at shop whilst I wait for the licence.
    Thanks chaps for the info on this thread so far....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast