Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Steyr/ Mannlicher Schoenauer GK rifle collectors in South Africa?

I found a set of scope bases and rings on a scope that was removed from a .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer rifle. I now have two options , to buy this set -up from the owner or to get the different parts drown in CAD format to cast is via investment casting.

It seems we will be able to get a better mono-filament for the 3D printer . If we do all the 3D projects are on a roll again...

I am sure there are more than one Mannlicher Schoenauer with aging eyes that will be interested in a set of bases and rings ...if we are successful in casting the items it will be available to fellow owners as well. Maybe we can turn it into a group project...

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    I found a set of scope bases and rings on a scope that was removed from a .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer rifle. I now have two options , to buy this set -up from the owner or to get the different parts drown in CAD format to cast is via investment casting.

It seems we will be able to get a better mono-filament for the 3D printer . If we do all the 3D projects are on a roll again...

I am sure there are more than one Mannlicher Schoenauer with aging eyes that will be interested in a set of bases and rings ...if we are successful in casting the items it will be available to fellow owners as well. Maybe we can turn it into a group project...
    Mine came with scope mounts and the previous owner had mounted a Vintage Ziess scope. He had 4 scopes identical for other guns so I bought these too in the hope of one day mounting them on other MS rifles.
    having said that I'm in on your group proposal all I need now is to get my hands on a 458 ...

Hallo Dirtbuster
    Gert and I had some private correspondence r.e. fitting a scope on his 458. As a serious Mannlicher Schönhauer collector I plead with you guys to please NOT try and convert your historic MS into a modern hunting rifle. If you are in need of a scoped rifle then rather PLEASE sell your Mannlicher and buy a modern rifle but PLEASE do not violate a piece of history in an un-reversible action which you are going to regret one day. Even more so if it is a 458 which is NOT a caliber onto which one mounts a scope. This is like fitting parking sensors on a 1966 Mustang and the penalty should be death by torture.
    Below is the opinion of another collector

Having owned dozensof Mannlicher Schoenauers over the years, I strongly urge you DO NOT under anycircumstances ruin your rifle with a cheap side scope mount like a Williams,Weaver, Bausch & Lomb,or Pachmayr just to save a few dollars. What you "save" up-front will cost you dearly when it comes time to sell the rifle, and cost you even more from the ongoing shame and embarrassment of having defaced a highly desirable vintage rifle.

In fact, if your Mannicher Schoenauer is a"virgin", I strongly recommend that you forget putting a scope on it entirely, since there are plenty of them around that have already been modified with scope mounts of various kinds, and there is no reason to ruin yet another one by drilling holes in the receiver. If you really want one with a scope for hunting purposes, it is far better and more economical to find one that has already been modified, and sell yours to a collector. (I'd even trade you one of mine that is already drilled and tapped,if it means saving yours).

If you absolutely must put a modern scope on your MS, at least look for a quality mount like a Jaeger, Griffin & Howe, or a vintage German side mount,the most period-correct outfit would be a Suhl-type (German) "Einhak-Montage" (claw-mount) or an original Springer (aka Wiener or Austrian) "Schnäpper-Montage" (snap-mount). Fitting your MannlicherSchoenauer with a peep sight is another option to help with low-light hunting. However, the same caveats apply in that any non-original modifications that require drilling holes in the receiver(like a Lyman #57, or equivalent Redfield or Williams) will quickly ruin the rifle's collector value. The Lyman #36swing sight is a period-correct option (which fits over the bolt stop) but still requires cutting a relief slot in the stock, so is not an irreversible modification. About the only peep sight that does not require irreversible modifications is the Lyman #1 or
    Parker-Hale equivalent, which fits on the end of the cocking piece. These are functional and have the virtue of being a reversible modification. There should be no other scope fitting on an original Mannlicher-Schoenauer than the traditional handmade "Suhler Einhak-Montage".

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sarel JN View Post
    Hallo Dirtbuster
    Gert and I had some private correspondence r.e. fitting a scope on his 458. As a serious Mannlicher Schönhauer collector I plead with you guys to please NOT try and convert your historic MS into a modern hunting rifle. If you are in need of a scoped rifle then rather PLEASE sell your Mannlicher and buy a modern rifle but PLEASE do not violate a piece of history in an un-reversible action which you are going to regret one day. Even more so if it is a 458 which is NOT a caliber onto which one mounts a scope. This is like fitting parking sensors on a 1966 Mustang and the penalty should be death by torture.

Having owned dozensof Mannlicher Schoenauers over the years, I strongly urge you DO NOT under anycircumstances ruin your rifle with a cheap side scope mount like a Williams,Weaver, Bausch & Lomb,or Pachmayr just to save a few dollars. What you "save" up-front will cost you dearly when it comes time to sell the rifle, and cost you even more from the ongoing shame and embarrassment of having defaced a highly desirable vintage rifle.

In fact, if your Mannicher Schoenauer is a"virgin", I strongly recommend that you forget putting a scope on it entirely, since there are plenty of them around that have already been modified with scope mounts of various kinds, and there is no reason to ruin yet another one by drilling holes in the receiver. If you really want one with a scope for hunting purposes, it is far better and more economical to find one that has already been modified, and sell yours to a collector. (I'd even trade you one of mine that is already drilled and tapped,if it means saving yours).

If you absolutely must put a modern scope on your MS, at least look for a quality mount like a Jaeger, Griffin & Howe, or a vintage German side mount,the most period-correct outfit would be a Suhl-type (German) "Einhak-Montage" (claw-mount) or an original Springer (aka Wiener or Austrian) "Schnäpper-Montage" (snap-mount). Fitting your MannlicherSchoenauer with a peep sight is another option to help with low-light hunting. However, the same caveats apply in that any non-original modifications that require drilling holes in the receiver(like a Lyman #57, or equivalent Redfield or Williams) will quickly ruin the rifle's collector value. The Lyman #36swing sight is a period-correct option (which fits over the bolt stop) but still requires cutting a relief slot in the stock, so is not an irreversible modification. About the only peep sight that does not require irreversible modifications is the Lyman #1 or
    Parker-Hale equivalent, which fits on the end of the cocking piece. These are functional and have the virtue of being a reversible modification. There should be no other scope fitting on an original Mannlicher-Schoenauer than the traditional handmade "Suhler Einhak-Montage".
    You mentioned a Griffen&Howe to be a side mount that can be fitted onto my .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer GK(1956) without damaging the rifle/collector`s value...are you sure? Because when fiting the Griffen & Howe side mount plate you need to drill holes into the side of the action..will it not be the same as drilling holes through the top of the receiver?

I do have a Griffen 7 Howe side mount with scope rings and intend to fit this side mount..will it still retains the collector`s value?

Please keep in mind, you the collector is in another league when it comes to the .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer as a hunting rifle I need to see where I shoot..I need to hunt with this rifle , it is not suppose to be a safe queen...that is why I need to fit a scope...I believe in using rifles, knives, cars ect..I do not have the luxury to keep a rifle in a safe.... to me a rifle means nothing if I can not shoot/hunt with it...

I looked at mounts consisting of a barrel ring for the front scope bell ring and a 45 degree off set mount where there are manufacturing drill and tap screws already fitted for the back mount and ring..it is available but cost R7000 ..which is too much for my liking ..

Gert

Quote Originally Posted by Sarel JN View Post
    Hallo Dirtbuster

Amen

rest assured chaps i would never ruin a Virgin collectable! as far as i can tell the scope mounts are side mount ones. I havent looked in detail as the gun is still in storage pending the licence.
    Im busy reading a book called " recollections of an amateur Hunter by Mohle. It is pleasant reading and his rifle of choice was a 9.5 MS. As this falls within my category i would sincerely like to own one. Is the ammo available?

User

Update on Griffen&Howe side mount installation. It seems it is possible to fit the Griffen&Howe side mount on my .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer...

I received photos from a person whom have done it on two of his .458 Mannlicher Schoenauers..that is without damaging the action by drill and tapping...

I still have the other option open as well by buying the original off-set barrel ring and 45 degree side mount base/rings from a previous owner of a .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer not in use anymore...

Either way I will have a scope on my .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer to hunt with...

User

GERT,i remember one of the greatest games I ever watched. Springboks beat ALL Blacks quite nicely.....
    clostest I have to a M.S. is an old Carcano 91 rechambered to 6.5x54 ms by the greeks..I shoot 6.5x52mm carcano rounds in it and it works fine...
    making 6.5x54 M.S rounds from ANYTHING ELSE IS VERRRRRY DIFFICULT ,bordering on the impossible... as a USELESS sidenote....7.62 x 39
    rounds( AK /SKS) rounds can be made from 6.5 x54 or 6.5x52 mm brass.....at over$ 1 Canadian,its not worth the trouble when a box of 20 loaded 7.62 x39 sells for $5 Canadian.... If I remember the GERMAN rechambered greek rifles were stamped on the butt stock ''german or Italian...referring to 6.5x52 or 6.5x54ms. glenn

User

Hallo Glen

Thank you for the reply. Yes , the Mannlicher Carcano is one of the rifles with a good piece of history ....Johan Greyling have a few in his collection in the Gunsmith Safe where we work.

To me my .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer is a great rifle ..if I manage to mount a scope on it, it really will be more useful to me...I am positive that I will be able to scope it without drill and tap the receiver..I will not drill/tap the receiver .....there are other options to look at.

User

Mannlicher Schoenauer collector members, a person recently send me a photo of a Mannlicher Schoenauer bolt he has and want to sell..it seems to be a 7x57 caliber bolt according to the bolt face. If anyone wants to contact this person please make use of the following telephone number:
    Salie 084 959 8407
    E-mail:salliejagter@gmail.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast